449 replies to this topic

#1 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

Thought I'd start a Shrek-specific thread now that it's a step closer to being announced.

Three things to report from various sources (can't confirm personally if they are 100% true but the sources are more-than reliable):-

*Contrary to my earlier post saying the Palace was being looked at, it would appear that Drury Lane is now the almost-certain (and with tonights 'announcement' of Oliver closing in January, this would make sense for a March '11 opening as previously expected.

*Michael Ball is not doing this. He's doing Sweeney Todd instead

*Sheridan Smith has been approached for Princess Fiona

#2 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

Hmm I wonder if we will be seeing another case of Theatre Royal lying empty between productions again.

Also, if Sheridan Smith is signing on to play Princess Fiona, this will mean she would have no involvement in Bridget Jones if it is to make its premier in the next 2 years.

#3 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jun 20 2010, 10:01 PM) View Post
Also, if Sheridan Smith is signing on to play Princess Fiona, this will mean she would have no involvement in Bridget Jones if it is to make its premier in the next 2 years.

I didn't think that Bridget Jones was heading for anything before 2012/2013 anyway? It's got to go through a lot of workshopping and creative work first (from what I can gather, little has been done on the book or music).

#4 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(DanielWhit @ Jun 20 2010, 10:15 PM) View Post
I didn't think that Bridget Jones was heading for anything before 2012/2013 anyway? It's got to go through a lot of workshopping and creative work first (from what I can gather, little has been done on the book or music).

Its in a work shop this week and next with Sheridon Smith playing the lead, but as it stand only 3 numbers have been written.

I heard it was looking for a late 2011 early 2012 opening.

#5 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(bananafrit @ Jun 20 2010, 09:48 PM) View Post
*Contrary to my earlier post saying the Palace was being looked at, it would appear that Drury Lane is now the almost-certain (and with tonights 'announcement' of Oliver closing in January, this would make sense for a March '11 opening as previously expected.

Sounds about right, it'll be pitched opposite The Wizard Of Oz (as a big, family thing). Hopefully ticket prices aren't higher than Oliver! - they are the highest rates going as it is.

Oliver closing in January makes sense, then it'll have done two years of a run - the Drury Lane is such a damn big theatre to fill (and that puts it on par with The Producers, I think).

#6 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jun 20 2010, 10:16 PM) View Post
Its in a work shop this week and next with Sheridon Smith playing the lead, but as it stand only 3 numbers have been written.

I heard it was looking for a late 2011 early 2012 opening.

OK, so with the inevitable delays, it'll be mid 2012 likely - which will be fine as Sheridan will be free of a Shrek contract by late 2011/early 2012, allowing her time to do final workshops for Bridget Jones and let it open mid 2012.

And even if they are aiming for late 2011, there's no reason Sheridan couldn't have a 6 month contract for Shrek and go straight into rehearsals for Bridget Jones.

All hypothetically, obviously smile.gif

#7 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(DanielWhit @ Jun 20 2010, 10:19 PM) View Post
Sounds about right, it'll be pitched opposite The Wizard Of Oz (as a big, family thing). Hopefully ticket prices aren't higher than Oliver! - they are the highest rates going as it is.

Oliver closing in January makes sense, then it'll have done two years of a run - the Drury Lane is such a damn big theatre to fill (and that puts it on par with The Producers, I think).

In some ways its not. Love Never Dies have the higest overallrates, as Oliver has a good lot of seats at 17.50 and reguarly discounts.

I wonder who they will cast as Shrek.

#8 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jun 20 2010, 10:27 PM) View Post
In some ways its not. Love Never Dies have the higest overallrates, as Oliver has a good lot of seats at 17.50 and reguarly discounts.

I wonder who they will cast as Shrek.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about LND.

Hmm, I hadn't given thought to Shrek as of course it was almost a cert that Michael Ball was having it.

#9 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(DanielWhit @ Jun 20 2010, 10:29 PM) View Post
Ah yes, I had forgotten about LND.

Hmm, I hadn't given thought to Shrek as of course it was almost a cert that Michael Ball was having it.

I suspect they will want a big name, cant think of anyone off the top of my head at the moment.

#10 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jun 20 2010, 10:31 PM) View Post
I suspect they will want a big name, cant think of anyone off the top of my head at the moment.

Yeah, all I can think of are previous Edna's, but that just seems very narrow minded to think down that route. I'll have a think about it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users