449 replies to this topic

#11 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

I can't see Sheridan doing Shrek to be honest. Doubt she would want to go straight into another massive musical theatre role, just because they have approached her for it doesn't mean she has accepted or indeed that they haven't approached countless others for the role. I personally would love to see Sutton Foster making her West End debut for afew months ala Idina Menzel for Wicked.

I think it will do great business on weekends, they would be wise to have a Sunday matinee. Think it will be a very tough sell (especially at such a big theatre) during the week.

#12 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3301 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(Mark_E @ Jun 20 2010, 10:54 PM) View Post
I can't see Sheridan doing Shrek to be honest. Doubt she would want to go straight into another massive musical theatre role, just because they have approached her for it doesn't mean she has accepted or indeed that they haven't approached countless others for the role. I personally would love to see Sutton Foster making her West End debut for afew months ala Idina Menzel for Wicked.

I think it will do great business on weekends, they would be wise to have a Sunday matinee. Think it will be a very tough sell (especially at such a big theatre) during the week.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE Sutton Foster to come over!!! Every show she has been in that has transfered I have always wished but its never happened.

#13 Rain

Rain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

I wouldn't've thought that Shrek had a big enough audience to fill Drury Lane!

#14 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3301 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(Rain @ Jun 20 2010, 11:25 PM) View Post
I wouldn't've thought that Shrek had a big enough audience to fill Drury Lane!

It will be a big family hit at the weekends,hopefully its running costs will be low enough to be payed off at the weekends so it can get by during the week once the hype has died down!

#15 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jun 20 2010, 11:27 PM) View Post
It will be a big family hit at the weekends,hopefully its running costs will be low enough to be payed off at the weekends so it can get by during the week once the hype has died down!

Yeah, in the same way as Oliver has worked - except that it wont be quite so "who's Fagin?", and with a Sunday performance.

#16 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3301 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

Its such a HUGE theatre to fill and the stage is so large that nothing really can be cheap to run unless they want the stage to look purposely empty or cheap!
Oliver really has some amazing things that happen on that stage, Its done not to badly considering the reality show winner will have left 10 months before the show closes!

#17 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE(Mark_E @ Jun 20 2010, 10:54 PM) View Post
I can't see Sheridan doing Shrek to be honest. Doubt she would want to go straight into another massive musical theatre role....

Don't be too certain of that if I were you wink.gif

#18 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

^I know she is doing the Bridget Jones workshop, but that would give her some time before the show actually opened. I really don't think she will do Shrek, Fiona isn't exactly the best of roles.

#19 ldntheatregoer

ldntheatregoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

I think the part would suit Sheridan Smith really nicely, my second choice would certainly be Julie Atherton, who would be perfect for it IMO.

As for Shrek it's rather more difficult. Wasn't it confirmed that Ball was never in fact approached, or something similar came from his representation when the story first came out. When the show first opened on Broadway there was the James Corden rumour which similarly turned out to be absolutely untrue as he had no idea about the show. I wonder if now he might be a viable candidate?

I'm looking forward to hearing the casting for this one as I'm having trouble filling it out myself, Lord Farquad in particular!

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(ldntheatregoer @ Jun 21 2010, 08:45 AM) View Post
I think the part would suit Sheridan Smith really nicely, my second choice would certainly be Julie Atherton, who would be perfect for it IMO.

As for Shrek it's rather more difficult. Wasn't it confirmed that Ball was never in fact approached, or something similar came from his representation when the story first came out. When the show first opened on Broadway there was the James Corden rumour which similarly turned out to be absolutely untrue as he had no idea about the show. I wonder if now he might be a viable candidate?

I'm looking forward to hearing the casting for this one as I'm having trouble filling it out myself, Lord Farquad in particular!

Having seen it in NYC, if it must come over bother Julie and Sheridan are wrong for the role.  You need someone like Summer Strallen, Emma Williams, maybe even Scarlett Strallen

Oliver closes 8 January 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users