#21 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(Mark_E @ Jun 20 2010, 10:54 PM) View Post
I can't see Sheridan doing Shrek to be honest. Doubt she would want to go straight into another massive musical theatre role, just because they have approached her for it doesn't mean she has accepted or indeed that they haven't approached countless others for the role. I personally would love to see Sutton Foster making her West End debut for afew months ala Idina Menzel for Wicked.

I think it will do great business on weekends, they would be wise to have a Sunday matinee. Think it will be a very tough sell (especially at such a big theatre) during the week.

Sutton Foster is now completely ruled out as she will be staring in a broadway reivival of Anything Goes in 2011 as Reno Sweeney.

#22 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jun 21 2010, 10:17 AM) View Post
Sutton Foster is now completely ruled out as she will be staring in a broadway reivival of Anything Goes in 2011 as Reno Sweeney.

Shrek - Justin lee Collins?  They will quite possibly need a name
Fiona - Emma Williams or Summer Strallen

#23 ldntheatregoer

ldntheatregoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

I like the idea of Summer or Emma, particularly Emma, classic ingenue types, though I still like Sheridan or Julie for their quirkier vibe. The ensemble roles in the show are really fun so I should think we could get some very good hoofers for the chorus!

#24 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jun 21 2010, 11:17 AM) View Post

This idea of Sutton Foster coming over is/was ridiculous. Why are people SO intent on Original Cast Members having to reprise their roles? Surely you should be promoting the AMAZING talent we have on this side of the pond instead of being so narrow-minded as to think that someone who (as good as she is) played the part originally is the only person who could ever open the show here?

#25 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(bananafrit @ Jun 21 2010, 12:52 PM) View Post
This idea of Sutton Foster coming over is/was ridiculous. Why are people SO intent on Original Cast Members having to reprise their roles? Surely you should be promoting the AMAZING talent we have on this side of the pond instead of being so narrow-minded as to think that someone who (as good as she is) played the part originally is the only person who could ever open the show here?

Its not about reprising the role for me. I just happen to enjoy the work she has done. I am more than aware that there is equally good talent and better here, but personally I would have loved is she comes over for anything. That was all, I didn't actually think she would be comming over, as out of everything she has been in that has transfered I didn't think this would be the one she would choose to come here to do.

I hope you understand that I have no problem with someone on this side of the atlantic being cast.

I don't think it was very fair to call me narrow minded.

#26 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jun 21 2010, 12:01 PM) View Post
Its not about reprising the role for me. I just happen to enjoy the work she has done. I am more than aware that there is equally good talent and better here, but personally I would have loved is she comes over for anything. That was all, I didn't actually think she would be comming over, as out of everything she has been in that has transfered I didn't think this would be the one she would choose to come here to do.

I hope you understand that I have no problem with someone on this side of the atlantic being cast.

God not Sutton! Far too smug and 'god im good' for my taste.  She is fast becoming queen of the flop with Little Women, Young Frankenstein and Shrek to her credit

#27 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jun 21 2010, 01:01 PM) View Post

Apologies, that was perhaps a little bit too personal... I meant to generalise a little because I know there are many people out there who ARE narrow-minded about the subject and refuse to believe that there is anybody else out there that could possibly originate a transfer role.

#28 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(bananafrit @ Jun 21 2010, 01:51 PM) View Post
Apologies, that was perhaps a little bit too personal... I meant to generalise a little because I know there are many people out there who ARE narrow-minded about the subject and refuse to believe that there is anybody else out there that could possibly originate a transfer role.

I completely understand, and I do agree, it was more about seeing Sutton Foter over here general whether that be in concert or whatever rather than in that specific role.

I think for it to really work and be a hit it would be better for there to be a really great brittish actress in there.

#29 hja

hja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 21 2010, 10:09 AM) View Post
Having seen it in NYC, if it must come over bother Julie and Sheridan are wrong for the role. You need someone like Summer Strallen, Emma Williams, maybe even Scarlett Strallen

Oliver closes 8 January 2011

Saw this in NYC too, and must say I enjoyed it way more than the Disney musicals I've seen. I think it could do really well here; if it's marketed and priced well I think they could manage without "names" and just cast it right. The glorious Broadway leads being presumable unavailable I'd like to see the following in it....Shrek: Simon Lipkin, Princess Fiona: Cassidy Janson, Lord Farquaad: Alex Bourne, Donkey: Adrian Hansel, Pinocchio: Gabriel Vick. Just a thought!

#30 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Recalls for fiona and other roles were this week so my mole tells me. Apparently Julie Atherton, Summer Strallen, Amanda Holden and Kimberly walsh are all in the mix...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users