23,570  tickets went on sale to the general public

#92 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

I'm slightly surprised the media hasn't picked up on this story. Can anyone remember a whole theatre run selling out in a  few hours before?

#93 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(MaxCady @ Oct 18 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post

Let me make some assumptions. They were sold out by about 15:00, each person bought 4 tickets (was there a limit ?), so they sold 16 (4 people buying 4 each) every minute ?

Do you believe that ?

#94 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

I can tell you for fact that it was actually a bit more than that. Most of the pairs/4's had been sold by about 1pm. After that it was single seats left.

#95 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(MaxCady @ Oct 18 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post

I think this must be the number of tickets available in total for the run (I've just worked it out at roughly 89 performances with approx. 250 seats at each). Therefore given that it was heavily sold to members before the public booking opened, there can have been nowhere near this number left for sale on Monday morning.

Quote from Lynette "The allocation was 4 per member and I got 3 - I would happily have got the fourth for someone on the site so next time this happens, let those of us who can, get the extra tix for people on this site who do actually appreciate decent theatre and we can all keep out of the way of the touts and ebay."

Lynette, you are so kind! I note that there have been no bids so far for the Othello tickets on eBay (and I should think not) But also noticed some now on there for King Lear at a big mark-up. I find it very depressing.

#96 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE(Polly1 @ Oct 19 2007, 12:19 AM) View Post
given that it was heavily sold to members before the public booking opened, there can have been nowhere near this number left for sale on Monday morning.

Although the Donmar have said that they cap memers' presales so that the majority of tickets go on general sale - but yes, it would still mean less than the total.

Re ebay sales I can understand it if people genuinely find they can't make the date they've booked for - it's the buy-to-sell people I hate - but it's the mass acceptance of their doing that at vast mark-ups, in a "they can so why shouldn't they" way, that I find depressing.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#97 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

Just been in touch with my Donmar contacts  & they have both said that approximatley 23,570 tickets went on sale to the general pubic on the 15th oct

#98 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(MaxCady @ Oct 19 2007, 05:37 PM) View Post
Just been in touch with my Donmar contacts  & they have both said that approximatley 23,570 tickets went on sale to the general pubic on the 15th oct

OK, I stand corrected but there are 89 performances listed on the website and 89x250 (approx. capacity of Donmar) = 22250. This must mean that NO tickets were sold to members, which we know isn't true, so can you explain the discrepancy please?

#99 Guest_Guest_richard_*_*

Guest_Guest_richard_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:09 PM

rolleyes.gif
For those keen to see another OTHELLO (after the Globe and before the Donmar) Salisbury Playhouse have a production running throughout November and are always a very reliable company.

#100 MarieMJS

MarieMJS

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:2D/3D animation, cinema, books, plays, tap dancing, etc :D

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

I stopped at the theater this week end, and asked them about the tickets thingy... The theater is insanely small compared to other venues, and the only chance to see the play will be returns tickets, buying one of the 10 tickets available on the day you want to see the play, or "standing" tickets...
Sounds risky biggrin.gif I guess I won't see this one :S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users