Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:00 AM

The Guardian seem to think the Stephen Dillane "Hamlet" is still on

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/theatre/news/st...2167367,00.html

Amazing someone got paid for writing a piece like that.

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

Probably because officially the Dillane Hamlet was postponed, not cancelled.

#3 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Sep 13 2007, 09:48 AM) View Post
Probably because officially the Dillane Hamlet was postponed, not cancelled.

The press release said it was cancelled.

#4 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

Confusion between the project and its components!

The Dillane Hamlet was indeed cancelled, whereas the Bridge project itself has been postponed until 2009 when it will feature different productions.

"But the productions were cancelled when Dillane withdrew because of a family illness, and the entire Bridge Project has been postponed until 2009 when Mendes will direct The Winterís Tale and The Cherry Orchard, starring Simon Russell Beale as Leontes in the Shakespeare and Lopakhin in the Chekhov."

http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?pg=2...+Be%94%3F%3F%3F

#5 Princeton

Princeton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

The Old Vic doesn't seem to have clocked that it's cancelled either - judging by their front of house (or rather side of theatre) billboards!!

#6 Princeton

Princeton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

I've just checked the press release which states:

The collaboration between director Sam Mendes and actor Stephen Dillane on productions of The Tempest and Hamlet, which was to have launched The Bridge Project later this year (with partner, Il Piccolo Teatro di Milano), is to be postponed.

With great regret and due to personal reasons arising from family illness, Dillane has had to withdraw from the initial cycle of this three-year initiative. The nine-month long project was to involve several months rehearsal and playing overseas, before concluding with a run in London.

The producers of The Bridge Project accept his decision with great sympathy and look forward to the future date when his partnership with Mendes in this venture will be resumed.

So whilst not saying when it is postponed until, they are still leaving the door open (though at 51 he's already a bit long in the tooth to be playing Hamlet so time is of the essence).

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:46 PM

Thank you, Princeton - that's what I remembered.

Duncan, I wasn't confused and the Bridge Project wasn't postponed as you suggested - only the Dillane part of it. When it was first announced, it was a 3 year project - Dillane doing Hamlet and Prospero in 2008, SRB doing Leontes and Lopakhin in 2009, and something else as yet unannounced in 2010.

When Dillane had to pull out because of serious illness in the family, Mendes said he wouldn't do Hamlet and The Tempest with anyone else, so the Dillane project was postponed indefinitely, leaving the SRB productions as the first productions in the Bridge Project, but in 2009 as they always were.

#8 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:51 AM

You are absolutely right! Please picture me performing an elaborate stage bow in your direction!

#9 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:44 AM

Very gracious - now I'm blushing.

It's partly WOS's fault, actually - they've tried to make a story (in the "Gossip" section) and score a point out of the Guardian getting it wrong, when in fact the Guardian got it right on this occasion (albeit that the "horizon" is rather distant). Anyway, it's a rather unfortunate subject for gossip, given the circumstances.

#10 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Sep 14 2007, 10:44 AM) View Post
Very gracious - now I'm blushing.

It's partly WOS's fault, actually - they've tried to make a story (in the "Gossip" section) and score a point out of the Guardian getting it wrong, when in fact the Guardian got it right on this occasion (albeit that the "horizon" is rather distant). Anyway, it's a rather unfortunate subject for gossip, given the circumstances.

I think you are bending over backwards to be kind to the Guardian here, they just got it wrong. Same as if I wrote a piece saying "Oh, look at all these King Lears on at the moment, the Nunn/McKellan one and the Grandage/Jacobi one on the horizon !"(which, incidentally, will happen long before any Mendes/Dillane Hamlet).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users