11 replies to this topic

#1 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

I saw The Car Man for the first time last night and thought it was brilliant.  I know it's been on tv and been on tour before but I never thought ballet was my thing but obviously this isn't like a traditional ballet.  It also helped recognising quite a lot of the music (even though I've never seen Carmen).  The choreography was excellent and the staging was really good (loved the car chase/race).  The cast were great especially James Leece (a fellow Scot) as Luca and Richard Winsor as Angelo.  it had everything you could want in a show, action, romance, sex, violence, comedy, but no dialogue (obviously).

I enjoyed it so much I'm going to see it again on Saturday and I'm going to buy the DVD of the show.
Give Yourself Over To Absolute Pleasure

#2 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1026 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

A friend and I saw it last time round and we didnít rate it that highly. We went back this year as we got comps. Both of us came out very pleasantly surprised. Bourne appears to have re worked a lot and tightened the dramatic tension, the second act is now very compelling and moving. Last time I found the end of act 1 to be one of the best pieces of theatre ever so act two, in a way felt like a let down. Not now!

I do find with Bourne is that he pops in one two many jokes or group numbers, when you really want to concentrate on the drama between the central actors. I guess I will never get over that!

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#3 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(Reich @ Sep 13 2007, 09:09 PM) View Post
A friend and I saw it last time round and we didnít rate it that highly. We went back this year as we got comps. Both of us came out very pleasantly surprised. Bourne appears to have re worked a lot and tightened the dramatic tension, the second act is now very compelling and moving. Last time I found the end of act 1 to be one of the best pieces of theatre ever so act two, in a way felt like a let down. Not now!

I do find with Bourne is that he pops in one two many jokes or group numbers, when you really want to concentrate on the drama between the central actors. I guess I will never get over that!
I can't get excited by Bourne's work. He has all the right dramatic instincts but his choreography never rises above the average and repetitious.

Sebastian

#4 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

Well I've got my ticket for this afternoon's performance and I can't wait to see it again.

#5 Guest_Guest_achilles_*_*

Guest_Guest_achilles_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(angelfan @ Sep 15 2007, 08:28 AM) View Post
Well I've got my ticket for this afternoon's performance and I can't wait to see it again.

I do like the nerve with which Bourne reinvents things, and stages with invention and fresh eyes, but I do always have problems focussing in his shows. There is always so much going on, usually darn good stuff, and always at the same time, that you do never actually know where to look. most directors stage so that the audience have the equivalent of a cinematic close-up, but Bourne can be relentless. I would love to see his Late Flowering Lust brought to the stage. I gather he intended to stage it with Nigel hawthorne, but sadly that wasn't to be. It really is an utterly charming and melancholy piece, and rather sensual.
What do we reckon to the idea of his Romeo and Romeo, Romeo and Julian,  or whatever it is being called

#6 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1026 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(Guest_achilles_* @ Sep 15 2007, 11:13 AM) View Post
What do we reckon to the idea of his Romeo and Romeo, Romeo and Julian,  or whatever it is being called

Im sure it will sell lots of tickets, have lots of group numbers and pastiche characters.

Iím not sure if Bourne can go any further in dance. His shows have stayed static since Swan Lake. I would really like to see him direct a musical or just do anything new or different

#7 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Guest_achilles_* @ Sep 15 2007, 11:13 AM) View Post
I do like the nerve with which Bourne reinvents things, and stages with invention and fresh eyes, but I do always have problems focussing in his shows. There is always so much going on, usually darn good stuff, and always at the same time, that you do never actually know where to look. most directors stage so that the audience have the equivalent of a cinematic close-up, but Bourne can be relentless.

I know what you mean, but I suspect that what you see, particularly the first time you go, is what MB wants you to see most! Such care is taken over lighting, timing, etc that it is cinematic, if that makes sense.  tongue.gif

If you go more than once you can override the "director's cut" and look at what is happening on the periphery.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#8 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Reich @ Sep 15 2007, 01:06 PM) View Post
Iím not sure if Bourne can go any further in dance. His shows have stayed static since Swan Lake.

I'm not sure what you mean??

I won't be called a baggage!

#9 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:32 PM

Well I thought it was just as good second time around.  This time I was in the Dress Circle (first time in the stalls) and noticed some things I hadn't the first time (like a sort of Conga dance going round the back of the stage during one scene).

I might go and see The Nutcracker next year when it plays Glasgow.

see him direct a musical

He co-directs/ed Mary Poppins.

#10 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1026 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE(M George @ Sep 15 2007, 04:29 PM) View Post
I'm not sure what you mean??

I find he hasn't advanced his style since Swan Lake. I think he needs to find new ways instead of just repeating the old format time and time again

Sorry, I didn't know he co-directed Mary Poppins. I would like to see take total control of a musical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users