11 replies to this topic

#1 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3333 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

Hello, I in know way want this to sound like an intrusive or rood question and in know ways mean to offend anyone, but i am going to be studying in london very soon, and i will be there for a few years. I would very much to become a usher in a west end theatre while i am there, i was wondering if it is worth it??, Does anyoneknow the average pay for Front of House work??, and  i do realise it could varry from venue to venue, but i would appreciate any suggestions and help. I was also wondering if there is anything you pacificacally need whijle doing this line of work

thankyou

#2 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Sep 14 2007, 08:04 PM) View Post
Hello, I in know way want this to sound like an intrusive or rood question and in know ways mean to offend anyone, but i am going to be studying in london very soon, and i will be there for a few years. I would very much to become a usher in a west end theatre while i am there, i was wondering if it is worth it??, Does anyoneknow the average pay for Front of House work??

You can expect around 23 a show or 6 to 7 an hour, sometimes more depending on responsibilities. Some theatres also add a weekly commission.

It's worth it if you're spending all day studying and want the chance to earn some extra money in the evenings. Many students do that sort of evening work.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#3 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3333 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Sep 14 2007, 10:43 PM) View Post
You can expect around 23 a show or 6 to 7 an hour, sometimes more depending on responsibilities. Some theatres also add a weekly commission.

It's worth it if you're spending all day studying and want the chance to earn some extra money in the evenings. Many students do that sort of evening work.

thanks very much

#4 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:32 AM

It's not quite that much unfortunately. It's 5.35ph for Ushering. Bar is a little bit more. Its a min call of 3.75 hours per shift so about 20 a show, 160 a week if you're doing all 8 shows. That is before tax. As Matthew Winn said, most companies (I know ATG and Delfont do) offer a commission based on sales of merchandise and programmes etc. How much you get from that will depend on which show you're working on obviously. Eg. Grease will be selling a LOT of merchandise because it's a busy show whereas Woman in Black will sell very little because I believe there's only a poster and programme available.

#5 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for the correction. I was going by what a few people had told me; the 6 to 7 was for bar work plus the responsibility for adding up all the figures at the end of the evening, so that's the higher end of the scale.

(And I wouldn't have used the phrase "It's not quite that much". "It's even lower than that" is probably more to the point. They deserve more money for having to deal with the sort of people mentioned in the "Worst Audience Ever" thread.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#6 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Sep 15 2007, 07:07 AM) View Post
(They deserve more money for having to deal with the sort of people mentioned in the "Worst Audience Ever" thread.)

Here here! (or is it Hear Hear? - I've never quite worked that one out!)

#7 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE(bananafrit @ Sep 15 2007, 08:50 AM) View Post
Here here! (or is it Hear Hear? - I've never quite worked that one out!)

It's short for Hear him! Hear Him!, I think. But I've seen "here, here" so many times on the internet that I'm beginning to think even I'll get it wrong soon. It's up there with "loose" (for lose) and "I could care less" for My Favorite Top Internet Error of 2005 Ever, Ever.

From the UK gov. site:

There are three levels of minimum wage, and the rates from 1st October 2007 are:

5.52 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
A development rate of 4.60 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive
3.40 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age.

So I would imagine West End ushers must now be paid 5.52 ph unless they are under 22.

More than 25 years ago I used to do casual work as a barman in the Royal Albert Hall. It was 6 a night plus "tips" which could be as much as 10 and 2 packets of B&H.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#8 Guest_Guest_Woodpusher_*_*

Guest_Guest_Woodpusher_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

West End rates of pay at...

http://www.solt.co.uk/downloads/pdfs/rates...ECTUrates07.pdf

#9 Guest_Panni_*

Guest_Panni_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Sep 14 2007, 07:04 PM) View Post
Hello, I in know way want this to sound like an intrusive or rood question and in know ways mean to offend anyone, but i am going to be studying in london very soon, and i will be there for a few years. I would very much to become a usher in a west end theatre while i am there, i was wondering if it is worth it??, Does anyoneknow the average pay for Front of House work??, and  i do realise it could varry from venue to venue, but i would appreciate any suggestions and help. I was also wondering if there is anything you pacificacally need whijle doing this line of work

thankyou

#10 Panni

Panni

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Sep 14 2007, 07:04 PM) View Post
Hello, I in know way want this to sound like an intrusive or rood question and in know ways mean to offend anyone, but i am going to be studying in london very soon, and i will be there for a few years. I would very much to become a usher in a west end theatre while i am there, i was wondering if it is worth it??, Does anyoneknow the average pay for Front of House work??, and i do realise it could varry from venue to venue, but i would appreciate any suggestions and help. I was also wondering if there is anything you pacificacally need whijle doing this line of work

thankyou

Hello,

I am in the same situation exactly as you were. What happened to you?Did you get a job as an usherette or sg like that?
I am studying on a film course at a uni in London and a theatre job (for ex. a Front of House job) would be the most suitable for me as I have lessons during the day, so my free time mostly will be in the evenings and weekends.
What is more working in a theatre could contribute to my professional development as theatre and film industry have some similar tools and methods.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

regards,

Panni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users