7 replies to this topic

#1 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:38 AM

This has to be the best play that i have seen in a long time. Watched it last night on its opening night. Everything seemed to go smoothly. Its a very powerful piece of work. Wonderfully directed by Rupert Goold & very well actred by a first rate cast.
        Will anyone else be going to see this play?

#2 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

yeah , im going with my mum to the press night of the liverpool leg next month - really looking forward to it!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#3 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

I'll be seeing it at the Lyric Hammersmith. Looking forward to seeing another Goold production, and the play sounds very interesting. I'm starting to think the Lyric has taken a measure of my taste and puts on productions to please me. Other theatres should take a leaf out of the Lyric's book.

#4 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

I'm looking forward to this, and am going in with very little background knowledge. Mainly wanted to see it having enjoyed Goold's Tempest last year.

#5 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:22 PM

[quote name='David' date='Sep 15 2007, 11:49 PM' post='16981']
I'm looking forward to this, and am going in with very little background knowledge. Mainly wanted to see it having enjoyed Goold's Tempest last year.
[/quote

Me too

#6 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

Saw this last night and probably because my expectations were high, I  was really disappointed. Just goes to show that even a talented and inventive director such as Gould can't overcome such stogdy material. My companion left at the interval and although the second half was more focused it couldn't make this anything other than worthy but dull, dull, dull, rather like reading an illustrated York notes.

#7 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE(Trev @ Oct 9 2007, 10:54 AM) View Post
Saw this last night and probably because my expectations were high, I  was really disappointed. Just goes to show that even a talented and inventive director such as Gould can't overcome such stogdy material. My companion left at the interval and although the second half was more focused it couldn't make this anything other than worthy but dull, dull, dull, rather like reading an illustrated York notes.

I agree totally - such a disappointment - a very weak play not able to be rescued by a quite inventive production.

#8 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

I saw this last night, and i too was hughly dissapointed, Goold shows yet again that he is  very inventive director and the set is prob one of the simplest yet most effective stage pieces i have seen in a long time, but my question lies in A) how well this show was actually cast - not one of the cast could fill the small INTIMATE auditorium of the Liverpool Playhouse and cool.gif how shockingly poor the script was, it had no pace and was overly tiresome of facts, it did cross my mind to leave in the interval but i had to review the show so had to stay.

the second half is much better as been previously said but it is no saving grace of this piece, my question is why has it got rave reviews from the pros? is it beacuse its black history month and they wouldn't want to seem like their rocking the boat by giving a show that tackles this subject a 1*?

because it seemed from watching this last night that i saw a very different show from the reviewers
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users