Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:44 PM

This finishes on the 29th so there's not long left to see it, but it's well worth it. It shows us a heartbreakingly young WWI private recounting to us his brief life as he sits out his final night, awaiting execution at dawn for supposed cowardice. Both author and single cast member take this somewhat grim premise and make it into a lively production with moments of humour, dramatic light and shade and physical vibrancy, shot through with the tragedy of what happened to too many soldiers. Alexander Campbell's performance is riveting and covers much ground, both in its breadth (he takes us right through from childhood to active service in the trenches, by way of a range of other characters) and in how he uses the intimate space.

It was saddening to see so many empty seats, it deserves better, but perhaps people have ticked the box on its previous round. If you haven't seen it I think they've reduced all tickets to 15 for the remainder. I hope it gets a last-minute boost in numbers during its final week.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users