Caz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, walking around London

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

Hi

This show is on at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley next January. Heard the last version was with Paul Nicolls ??, is this any good! ??

Love the story of Jekyl & Hyde and wondered whether it was worth a look!

Thanks

Best wishes
Caz

#2 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

Its an ok musical - wasnt brilliant though!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#3 Guest_Val_*

Guest_Val_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

It starred Paul Nicholas last time.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

The music is fantastic, but with Marti Pellow taking the lead I imagine this production being terrible. His voice is so weak and his breath control appalling.

#5 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Val @ Jun 29 2010, 10:32 AM) View Post
It starred Paul Nicholas last time.

And still they haven't learnt!

It's Kenwright as opposed to UK Productions this time..... I'd have thought he'd have pushed a bit bigger and more talent in terms of the lead. Let's hope the girls are strong.

#6 Guest_tiffany_*

Guest_tiffany_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 29 2010, 09:48 AM) View Post
The music is fantastic, but with Marti Pellow taking the lead I imagine this production being terrible. His voice is so weak and his breath control appalling.

You've never been to a Marti Pellow or Wet Wet Wet concert if you think Marti's voice is weak!  Marti has a very powerful voice and I think he will be fantastic in this role - can't wait to book my tickets.

#7 Guest_Guest_Millie_*_*

Guest_Guest_Millie_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(tiffany @ Jul 8 2010, 06:53 PM) View Post
You've never been to a Marti Pellow or Wet Wet Wet concert if you think Marti's voice is weak!  Marti has a very powerful voice and I think he will be fantastic in this role - can't wait to book my tickets.

The dual lead roles call for someone with a strong voice and excellent acting skills.

Sadly not something that Paul Nicholas brought to the role:( Plus he looked far too old in the role alongside Lisa.

I've no objections to Marti Pellow's voice at all. But when I saw Witches of Eastwick I found that he had the twinkle but not the acting required, especially when he had to get angry towards the end. Without being able to act both parts convincingly the show will suffer.

Having seen the production with Paul Nicholas I'd also say that the staging and direction appeared to be amateurish. The role of John was also cut down which  was a shame cos the person with a good voice, Charles Shirvell, ended up with almost nothing to sing:(  

I wish they'd do something with the lyrics! I like a lot of them but some of them are just too corny and should never have made it to rehearsals let along the stage! The Vienna recording with Thomas Borchert is excellent as (a) he has a fabulous voice and (cool.gif I can't tell if the lyrics are bad or not;-)

#8 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

I wish they'd do something with the lyrics! I like a lot of them but some of them are just too corny and should never have made it to rehearsals let along the stage! The Vienna recording with Thomas Borchert is excellent as (a) he has a fabulous voice and ( I can't tell if the lyrics are bad or not;-)

My favourite terrible lyric in Jekyll is in Facade it goes thus:

"AND THE FRONT BIIIIIIT.... IT'S WHATS CALLED A FACADE"

tongue.gif

I can imagine it would sound brilliant in German though.
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

#9 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

Really? I must admit a certain fondness for "TO KILL OUTSIDE ST PAUL'S! REQUIRES A LOT OF BALLS!" myself. wink.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#10 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 14 2010, 07:31 PM) View Post
Really? I must admit a certain fondness for "TO KILL OUTSIDE ST PAUL'S! REQUIRES A LOT OF BALLS!" myself. wink.gif

Thats another! But at least that one has something to do with the story and isn't just a comment on architecture.
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users