15 replies to this topic

#1 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:15 PM

Just received my RSC 2007-2008 season guide in the post, so I thought I'd start a topic to discuss it.

The thing that caught my attention were the twin March 2008 history marathons: the two tetralogies in both order of composition and in chronological order.

I don't much fancy seeing the eight histories in four days, especially given that six of the plays are crammed into two of the days. After two solid days morning to night I think I would vow never to set foot in a theatre again!

I think I'll limit myself to one viewing of each as they enter the repertoire.

Comments on this and any of the other goodies in the brochure welcome!

#2 Guest_Alexandra_*

Guest_Alexandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:55 PM

Yup - have visions of staggering out disorientated and numb. Exciting though. I love the casting of Bolingbroke/Henry IV and Hal/Henry V, and it'll be interesting to see Slinger play a completely different role from Richard III. But I'm surprised by David Warner as Falstaff - I assumed it would be Richard Cordery. Can't quite see it at the moment but that makes it even more interesting.

#3 Guest_richard_*

Guest_richard_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

sad.gif
Not convinced by the prospect of the two tetralogies.  The Henry VI trilogy is an orange that has been squeezed dry by now (wasn't there a time when scheduled performances last autumn were quietly dropped as there wasn't a quorum in the audience?)  The Richard III IMHO was a disaster and the thought of Jonathan Slingsby as Richard II is not enticing.  Nor does David Warner strike one as a natural Falstaff.  I agree about Richard Corderey - he is the outstanding performer in this ensemble of - let's face it - B and C list actors.   Do we get the dreadful rust bucket set for all eight plays?  I couldn't face seeing that again in R2, H41, H42 and H5.  The economic factor has not been considered enough.  Clearly it is a very efficient way of filling the calendar to have the same set/actors in eight different productions.  But it does lead to a sameness. I just feel that people could have tetralogy-fatigue pretty soon.  I certainly shan't be booking unless an individual play gets specially good reviews.  I dread to think what pc slant will be put on Henry V.  No SAS at Harfleur, please!

#4 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

Apart from Histories - what else are they doing ?

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

The RSC is just a never-ending conveyor belt these days. And Jan is right about the quality of actors and (yes Guardain readers) actresses. The whole thing just has the feel these days of just add water, nothing freshly prepared. I can't be bothered to drive up the motorway anywhere near as much as I used to...

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

This, from The Guardigroan's own website!

"The following correction was printed in the Guardian's Corrections and clarifications column, Monday January 15 2007

A rigid application of the Guardian style guide caused us to say of Carlo Ponti in the obituary below that in his early career he was "already a man with a good eye for pretty actors ..." This was one of those occasions when the word "actresses" might have been used."

When will they wake up and smell the coffee?

#7 Guest_Alexandra_*

Guest_Alexandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Feb 23 2007, 11:35 AM) View Post
Apart from Histories - what else are they doing ?

Coriolanus with Will Houston (starts previewing tonight - could be tasty), Twelfth Night, Lear and Seagull you know, Macbeth, Macbett by Ionesco, the Penelopiad,  revival of the Indian/Sri Lankan Midsummer Night's Dream,  revival of the Meckler Comedy of Errors on a UK tour, Antony Sher in Kean in the West End, revival of Venus and Adonis in Islington (very sexy). And the Histories.

#8 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

I see. I did not know the Sher/Noble "Keane" was under the RSC banner.

In various interviews recently Patrick Stewart has been openly requesting RSC give him a long-term contract - but I now see he will be appearing at Chichester in rival productions of "Macbeth" and "Twelfth Night" (the former directed by Rupert Goolde). It is a pity that he is not doing these for RSC.

#9 Lizzo

Lizzo

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Feb 23 2007, 02:58 PM) View Post
I see. I did not know the Sher/Noble "Keane" was under the RSC banner.

In various interviews recently Patrick Stewart has been openly requesting RSC give him a long-term contract - but I now see he will be appearing at Chichester in rival productions of "Macbeth" and "Twelfth Night" (the former directed by Rupert Goolde). It is a pity that he is not doing these for RSC.

Well, it's a pity for the RSC, but not for Patrick Stewart or audiences.  Macbeth in the Minerva and Twelfth Night in the main house will be a really interesting proposition. I saw his Shylock at The Other Place many years ago, and will be great to see another studio performance. - I'm no great fan of the Scottish Play but it seems to play well in studio theatres. Saw the McKellen/Dench production at the Other Place, and another production at the Orange Tree I thought was even better.
Can't wait......

#10 Edagar

Edagar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

How about considering the idea of reinventing the ensemble by having the same company of actors?  It's therefore natural casting to go Bolingbroke/Henry IV, etc., as they are the same person!

I think the coming season is varied, with more new work coming in.  And the RSC casting has taken a turn for the better since the new head of casting came in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users