• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 marky_198

marky_198

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

There seems to be a lot of attention for Les Miserables and it's anniversary's. I always felt like Miss Saigon doesn't get the attention it deserves.

It would be amazing if they would do a huge concert to celebrate this show too. In about 3 years it's the 25th anniversary too right?

I went to a Lea Salonga concert a few months ago and she sang some songs from Miss Saigon. Her performance was out of this world. She sounded better than ever.

Of course I know she's not 17 anymore, but for a concert version to celebrate the show it would be a beautiful hommage.

What other people would you like to see in a concert like this?

#2 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(marky_198 @ Jul 10 2010, 01:47 PM) View Post
There seems to be a lot of attention for Les Miserables and it's anniversary's. I always felt like Miss Saigon doesn't get the attention it deserves.

It would be amazing if they would do a huge concert to celebrate this show too. In about 3 years it's the 25th anniversary too right?

I went to a Lea Salonga concert a few months ago and she sang some songs from Miss Saigon. Her performance was out of this world. She sounded better than ever.

Of course I know she's not 17 anymore, but for a concert version to celebrate the show it would be a beautiful hommage.

What other people would you like to see in a concert like this?

I heard a rumour that they are planning on brinign siagon back into town in a few years.

#3 marky_198

marky_198

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jul 10 2010, 12:58 PM) View Post
I heard a rumour that they are planning on brinign siagon back into town in a few years.

That would be great.

Also there's the movie of course.
I'm very interested in the movie casting as well, my pick would be Julia Abueva for Kim so far. Or for the theater version for that matter.

But for a big concert it would be great to have Lea Salonga as Kim, or maybe a big show/concert to celebrate Miss Saigon with Lea Salonga, the movie Kim and the then current London Kim? smile.gif

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

Alfie Boe is playing Kim for the concert

In Cameron we trust  rolleyes.gif

#5 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(marky_198 @ Jul 10 2010, 01:47 PM) View Post

Urm I think you'll find that it's because Miss Saigon isn't still running so there is not going to be a 25th Anniversary.... because the show will never be 25 years old!

#6 marky_198

marky_198

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

The show has been running all over the world in many, many productions.
There's always a Miss Saigon production playing somewhere.

And if it's 25 years ago that the show was created, I think it's worth celebrating anyway.

Lea Salonga created her own celebration concert for the 20th anniversary, Lea, my life on Stage, 20 years of Miss Saigon.
Because Cameron Mackintosh didn't do anything about it.

I just think it would be really cool of they would do something like this.

#7 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(marky_198 @ Jul 10 2010, 06:51 PM) View Post
The show has been running all over the world in many, many productions.
There's always a Miss Saigon production playing somewhere.

And if it's 25 years ago that the show was created, I think it's worth celebrating anyway.

Lea Salonga created her own celebration concert for the 20th anniversary, Lea, my life on Stage, 20 years of Miss Saigon.
Because Cameron Mackintosh didn't do anything about it.

I just think it would be really cool of they would do something like this.

I would bank on it being back in the west end in the next few years, but doubt (as lovely as it would be) a concert will be mounted, I don't think Les Mis would have had such a year if a permanant production hadn;t been playing for 25 years.

ALW does barely nothing to celebrate his shows birthdays, can't say I am holding out for much for phantom's 25th!, especially after the failed 20th anniversary concert!

#8 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

Yeah why would there be a concert for Miss Saigon, its no longer running?  Just because there are productions opening over the world, these havent been running 25 years.  We dont celebrate Oliver, King and I, Sound of Music, Starlight Express, Cats etc etc everytime they hit a milestone since they closed because they are no longer running.  There maybe an anniversary production, like the recent West Side Story tour/Barbican

I do think Phantom deserves a big celebration and I hope ALW delivers! (but I doubt it)

#9 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(Titan @ Jul 10 2010, 09:29 PM) View Post
Yeah why would there be a concert for Miss Saigon, its no longer running? Just because there are productions opening over the world, these havent been running 25 years. We dont celebrate Oliver, King and I, Sound of Music, Starlight Express, Cats etc etc everytime they hit a milestone since they closed because they are no longer running. There maybe an anniversary production, like the recent West Side Story tour/Barbican

I do think Phantom deserves a big celebration and I hope ALW delivers! (but I doubt it)

I agree.

Oliver did have a special half an hour extra long show for its 50th last week, but that was really a one off.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Jul 10 2010, 06:10 PM) View Post
I would bank on it being back in the west end in the next few years, but doubt (as lovely as it would be) a concert will be mounted, I don't think Les Mis would have had such a year if a permanant production hadn;t been playing for 25 years.

ALW does barely nothing to celebrate his shows birthdays, can't say I am holding out for much for phantom's 25th!, especially after the failed 20th anniversary concert!

whats happened to the 20th anniversary concert?

i don't think POTO has the same following Le Miz does. I doubt it will get much, can ALW topple Cam Macks brilliant hat trick of a celebration?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users