#1 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

Saw an early preview and really enjoyed this - after (for me) the disappointment of Absurdia at the Donmar, this
revived my interest in the Theatre of the Absurd.   Cleverly staged - very satisfying pachyderms, excellent performances from Benedict Cumberbatch and Jaspar Britton, though a rather disappointing (but very beautiful) Daisy.  Fantastically lit.  Must be a technical nightmare to do, but really worth seeing.  Not particularly well-attended at the matinee I saw so grab a ticket before the reviews come out.

(I know I have mentioned this before but I still can't get over how dreadful the bar staff/rules are at the Royal Court considering how welcoming the theatre is in other ways. Long wait, though not crowded.  Wanted a sparkling mineral water - they only had still or soda water.  The man behind me wanted a coffee, could only have it if he was seated at a table and so on.  For goodness sake - get this sorted, Royal Court! It can't be that hard.)

#2 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

I really enjoyed Rhinoceros, too. The first half was deeply amusing and at times absolutely hilarious (the woman behind me nearly choked laughing), the second half had a great change in tone and atmosphere. The acting itself was very good and some of the earlier 'philosophical' scenes were delivered so quickly and self-assured that is was a pure joy to watch.

I was slighly astonished to see it get such lacklustre reviews. A lot of the complaints seemed to be about the play itself, and how it wasn't subtle enough. I didn't know that there were rules that everything has to be subtle now, with hardly perceptible plotlines.

#3 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

I haven't seen any of the reviews yet, but I'm surprised if they were lacklustre.  I agree with you CP, a really effective change between acts.  I found the ending very moving - which is surprising when you consider how funny it is when Madame Boeuf jumps on the back of her husband/rhinoceros.  I think it is a difficult play to stage, but then all the more kudos are due the Royal Court for having a go.

#4 Aurora

Aurora

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:17 AM

Hello there. (This is my first post here, be nice to me!)

I saw this recently and have to say I was delighted by it. I thought Benedict Cumberbatch played a likeable and convincing Berenger.

The pace was superb throughout, how easy it is to let the first few scenes plod along but they fairly rattled by!

It's always a lovely experience to go to the theatre expecting an evening of medoicrity and see something which delights. rolleyes.gif

#5 Scal

Scal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

I saw this again at the weekend.  I loved it.  It was very theatrical and it was *great* to be watching something so unexpectedly different at the Royal Court.  I have to admit that I don't often go there but I'd always assumed they did very naturalist earnest work.  The first scene was fantastic especially.  Brilliant ensemble work.

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:48 PM

Yes, I loved it too. I've got tix for The Arsonists so hope that is just as good. Don't know a thing about it. But sad that Jasper Britton isn't in it cos thought he was brill when he became an elephant!

Welcome, Aurora.

#7 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Oct 29 2007, 04:48 PM) View Post
Yes, I loved it too. I've got tix for The Arsonists so hope that is just as good. Don't know a thing about it. But sad that Jasper Britton isn't in it cos thought he was brill when he became an elephant!

Welcome, Aurora.

Not having seen it, I may be wrong, but surely he would turn into a rhinoceros, not an elephant?

#8 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

Yes, a rhino not an elephant. It was good but I felt it was a shame it meant we 'lost' Britton so early on (without giving too much away, I think). I loved his scenes and wanted more - so even more of a shame he's bailed on The Arsonists (I'm sure his replacement will be fine though).

Yes, hello Aurora and welcome - I look forward to your joining in on our various debates here.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

That's what happens when you try to give up alcohol too quickly. sorry: of course I meant rhino.

#10 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Oct 30 2007, 12:14 PM) View Post
Yes, a rhino not an elephant. It was good but I felt it was a shame it meant we 'lost' Britton so early on (without giving too much away, I think). I loved his scenes and wanted more - so even more of a shame he's bailed on The Arsonists (I'm sure his replacement will be fine though).

Yes, hello Aurora and welcome - I look forward to your joining in on our various debates here.

His replacement, Will Keen, must be getting used to this sort of casting - he replaced Iain Glen at the eleventh hour for the Donmar production of Kiss of the Spiderwoman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users