234 replies to this topic

#1 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

Opens today for Advance members in case anyone forgot.

I've got tickets for Hamlet and Or You Could Kiss Me. Fancied Men Should Weep, but couldn't get a decent ticket. I'll try to be more on the ball for the next booking period opening.

Does anyone know the play (Men Should Weep)?

Annie

#2 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

Got through to the site five minutes before the time they told me booking was going to open! On the plus side, for once the site didn't freeze or crash at any point.

I only wanted Hamlet today and was very limited in when I could go - I just managed to get a couple of good stalls seats, but there wasn't a huge amount of choice in the first ten or so rows. How quick you'd need to be to get the £10 front rows I don't know, did they all go to the really-really-advance members?

I did want to see Or You Could Kiss Me, but I think I'll hold off getting tickets until next season - there's no indication of the seating arrangement at the moment and I'd like to have some idea of roughly where I'll be sitting/standing/whatever.

I will see the two in the Lyttelton, but I'll wait and see what Entry Pass tickets are on offer for those, or else they'll have to wait until next season as well.

#3 Guest_Guest_Schuttep_*_*

Guest_Guest_Schuttep_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(Marius Pontmercy @ Jul 14 2010, 09:29 AM) View Post
Got through to the site five minutes before the time they told me booking was going to open! On the plus side, for once the site didn't freeze or crash at any point.

I only wanted Hamlet today and was very limited in when I could go - I just managed to get a couple of good stalls seats, but there wasn't a huge amount of choice in the first ten or so rows. How quick you'd need to be to get the £10 front rows I don't know, did they all go to the really-really-advance members?

I did want to see Or You Could Kiss Me, but I think I'll hold off getting tickets until next season - there's no indication of the seating arrangement at the moment and I'd like to have some idea of roughly where I'll be sitting/standing/whatever.

I will see the two in the Lyttelton, but I'll wait and see what Entry Pass tickets are on offer for those, or else they'll have to wait until next season as well.

I booked last week as I have a membership a tier above yours, but there's a further tier on top of mine!  That means when I get in, around a third to a half of seats have already gone.  Then my tier colleagues get their go.  I'm not surprised there's not much left for Advance bookers.  Pity the general public at the end of the process!  Unless you up your membership it's really not a case of being more on the ball at all!

#4 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

This is why I love being an Entry Pass Member!

Good tickets, released the day they are to the general public, held back for £5. Always in the first 4 rows for the Lyttleton productions.

#5 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(Mark_E @ Jul 14 2010, 02:17 PM) View Post
This is why I love being an Entry Pass Member!

Me too, but unfortunately I had to get "normal" tickets for Hamlet - partly because my eyesight isn't good enough to see anything as detailed as facial expressions from the circle (which is where EP tickets are for Travelex shows), and partly because I'm going with a friend who hasn't been under 26 for a very, very long time.  wink.gif

#6 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

Aaah right I get you. I can't see detailed expressions from the circle but im not overly bothered to be honest. Hamlet will be my first Shakespearian play I'll have seen professionally so very much looking forward to it. Can anyone help me on running time? Is it actually 4 hours?

#7 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

I'd be surprised if it was quite as long as that, but Hamlets do vary a lot - the Donmar one last year was about 3:15, the RSC Tennant one over 3:30 I think. Branagh's film famously tipped over the four hour mark, and that was without an interval of course.

Hope it's a good production and you enjoy your first Shakespeare! But be warned, Shakespeare fandom can be very, very expensive.  smile.gif

#8 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

^Haha! Any sort of theatre fandom is expensive, as my bank account only knows too well.

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(Marius Pontmercy @ Jul 14 2010, 05:41 PM) View Post
I'd be surprised if it was quite as long as that, but Hamlets do vary a lot - the Donmar one last year was about 3:15, the RSC Tennant one over 3:30 I think. Branagh's film famously tipped over the four hour mark, and that was without an interval of course.

Hope it's a good production and you enjoy your first Shakespeare! But be warned, Shakespeare fandom can be very, very expensive.  smile.gif

Just to say that the Branagh movie of Hamlet did have an interval. I think it came after the What a piece of work is man speech or thereabouts with a v long shot of Hamlet alone on an icy plane. I saw it at the Screen on the Hill  in Hampstead.
Th reason it is so long is that there are four [ I think] versions. According to Jonathan Bate we are not supposed to do 'em all joined up together hence length but to do one of the versions , each of which has subtle different political nuances.
I don't mind the length - I like Branagh's interpretation very much. The NT version will start a bit earlier than usual. I hope they don't mess up and miss out Fortinbras.

#10 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Shakespeare fandom is WAY more affordable than other theatre fandoms. I'm glad I dropped Wicked and found Henry V at the same time. I think the most I've ever paid for a Shakespeare ticket is... £24? And they're usually more like £5-£15 depending on theatre. :3

Although travel to Stratford can soon add up if you're not patient enough to wait for London seasons... XD

EDIT: okay, I've just checked and I was exaggerating slightly; £36 is my absolute maximum with a few £26. But mostly I do manage to keep between £5 and £15, which is nice. XD

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users