687 replies to this topic

#641 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

The Standard is a real rag as far as I'm concerned.I'm surprised they got as many facts right as they did."Twickenham housewife"-blooming typical patronising rubbish.Anyway all's well that ends well:Escobar got some publicity;and we got a right community spirit going!Long may it last!

#642 sjh11

sjh11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostSHk, on 13 June 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Errr. May I please make it absolutely clear? I didn't ask the paper to run this article. Someone told the paper about it and the paper contacted me, as well as,  I understand, the PotO team. The only difference is,  I talked to the paper and PotO didn't.

I really hope I'm not getting blamed for this article....

I am very sorry that now she is getting nasty remarks.

BTW, I rather think the Phantom in the photo in the article is Stephen John Davis and not Scott Davies, as it looks like the 10,000th anniversary perf.

If the leading lady of one of the world's most famous and successful musicals uses a public twitter account to criticise a punter in the week that the BBC's Fearne Cotton kicked off the 'is criticism of a public figure actually bullying?' row, then a journalist IS going to pick it up as a story. It is actually quite a big story - we are just a bit immune to these sorts of things following the rise of twitter etc. Clearly SHk did not seek this and I hope no-one thinks she did.

I see it is the entire page three of the London Evening Standard, and the Daily Telegraph look set to run it tomorrow as it has just popped up on their website (copied almost word for word from the Evening Standard!). Can anyone scan in the Standard article? Nice picture of the actress, I have to say.

SHK certainly did not say anything malicious. At the end of the day, the actress is paid by people like her who have seen the show so many times. If she is guilty of anything, it is of forgetting that PLUS the fact that anything written in public is on the record.

I wonder what ALW or Really Useful is thinking, other than all publicity is good publicity! They even showed a pic with Michael Crawford in it!

#643 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

sjh11, Thank you for your comment.  Some ppl sent me "shame on you" sort of tweets, so I thought ppl might be mistaking that I actively sought publicity on this matter.

#644 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

Read it in the Mail and the Telegraph as well.  

It was a poorly judged reaction, by both of them.  (The actress and the boyfriend, I mean.)

I don't know Sofia Escobar, so I won't criticize her as a person, but I saw her Christine and I would offer if I said what I thought she would angry Tweet me.   Oh, what the hell... it was like watching a silent movie actress chewing up the scenery.  Except there was sound.

#645 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

This was an interesting read and is one of the reasons I never really air my opinions on Twitter. If I criticise a performer or performance I find it very important to back it up with why I came to the conclusion I came to - and 140 characters is just not enough for that, so you end up saying "I didn't like that person." and that just sounds uneducated and badly thought out.

To cut Sofia a bit of slack, we don't know what sort of day she'd had when she saw that tweet and while I agree that the whole farce was quite unprofessional on her part, it might have just been one of many small things and it was just the final straw and she took it out on that Tweet without really realising the uproar that would follow, you know? When you just have "one of those days" and you lash out at the smallest of things. Obviously that's not necessarily the case, but she is only human and what you can overlook and shrug off one day can hit you really hard the next day.

I do think saying "I can't stand Sofia" is an incredibly rude way of wording an opinion but then at the same time, I'm aware that it wasn't meant for Sofia to see. I think it's important to remember anything said on Twitter is in public domain and that anyone can read it and that often a little thought into how something is worded can prevent reactions such as these - I doubt the same reaction would have been had if the wording was "I'm not a fan of Sofia's performance." as it immediately differentiates between her as a performer rather than her as a person.

Still - quite an over reaction. If she'd have left it at the "can't stand you either ;)" tweet I think that would have been fine - as without the addition of the rest of the tweets that one on its own sounds to me quite light hearted and a small reminder that anyone can read any tweet.

#646 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Exactly, I actually like Sofias inititional response as it had the wink on the end, it was a bit of a touche moment.  If it was left at that it would have been fine,its the rest and portraying herself as a victim that is wrong

#647 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Also deleted.

#648 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

View PostSquirrel, on 14 June 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

This was an interesting read and is one of the reasons I never really air my opinions on Twitter. If I criticise a performer or performance I find it very important to back it up with why I came to the conclusion I came to - and 140 characters is just not enough for that, so you end up saying "I didn't like that person." and that just sounds uneducated and badly thought out.

To cut Sofia a bit of slack, we don't know what sort of day she'd had when she saw that tweet and while I agree that the whole farce was quite unprofessional on her part, it might have just been one of many small things and it was just the final straw and she took it out on that Tweet without really realising the uproar that would follow, you know? When you just have "one of those days" and you lash out at the smallest of things. Obviously that's not necessarily the case, but she is only human and what you can overlook and shrug off one day can hit you really hard the next day.

I do think saying "I can't stand Sofia" is an incredibly rude way of wording an opinion but then at the same time, I'm aware that it wasn't meant for Sofia to see. I think it's important to remember anything said on Twitter is in public domain and that anyone can read it and that often a little thought into how something is worded can prevent reactions such as these - I doubt the same reaction would have been had if the wording was "I'm not a fan of Sofia's performance." as it immediately differentiates between her as a performer rather than her as a person.

Still - quite an over reaction. If she'd have left it at the "can't stand you either ;)" tweet I think that would have been fine - as without the addition of the rest of the tweets that one on its own sounds to me quite light hearted and a small reminder that anyone can read any tweet.

If she'd had "one of those days", as it were, then I would suggest that actively searching for yourself on Twitter is NOT a good way to make the day better.

I was feeling quite a bit of sympathy for Ms Escobar last night as the backlash tweets started appearing following the publication of the ES article, but that dwindled as soon as I saw that, rather than not discussing it or offering an apology/truce, she sent "thank you - I agree"-type tweets to those fans of hers who said that SHk should be "ashamed of herself".

#649 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Oh no - I agree, having a bad day isn't an excuse for overreacting in such a way, nor is searching your name and retaliating a good idea no matter what sort of day you're having. I just think it's a good idea to remember that she's just human and we all react in different ways to criticism. As I say, I think her initial reaction was justified but as you say; at this point it would probably be in her best interests to just bow out gracefully rather than acting quite so mortally wounded by the whole affair.

#650 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

I see WOS have now put it in their news section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users