• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#11 PamM

PamM

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

Losing someone at this stage is always a bit of a challenge, but I thought that Williamson was the weakest link in this particular chain: a competent and workmanlike performance with some rough edges, but you expect that in preview, but actually not as threatening to these larger than life characters than perhaps he could have been. I did think at the time that maybe playing it as an upper class twit (he is after all a relative in a sort of sinecure) might have worked, but maybe the new person will provide a bit more nastiness. I might go again just to get another version of the picture.

I have also realised that I have seen Tom Smith before in Black Watch at the Edinburgh Festival when he was very young. It has been nagging me a bit. I agree, Jan that the Dance Coriolanus would not be to everyone's taste, but it is one of the performances that lives with me years later, which is the point I was trying to make about this play, but in this case not a solo performance but a group working together to produce drama at its best.

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Oct 8 2007, 02:56 PM) View Post
Alda was Levene. At the time there was talk of the entire production transferring to London - I think the new London production has the same director (I have not checked).

I see an actor in the new production has withdrawn and the press night is postponed - bad news as it is an emsemble piece.

#12 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(PamM @ Oct 8 2007, 09:18 PM) View Post
I have also realised that I have seen Tom Smith before in Black Watch at the Edinburgh Festival when he was very young.

What does that mean? It doesn't make a lot of sense

Black Watch premiered only a little over a year ago, without Tom Smith in the cast. He took over from Paul Higgins for its Scottish tour earlier this year and gave up the part to Higgins for the current US tour.

#13 Elle

Elle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

I saw an early preview and was immensely impressed with the actor who played the 'boss' ~ am very shocked he's left ~ he was particularly outstanding both visually and in his craft.

#14 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

I haven't seen this production and am glad that others here have appreciated it, but I did see the film and well before that saw the stage play at the very striking though long closed Mermaid Theatre in London which must have been after its National run; I recall Tony Haygarth and, I think Kenny Ireland, among the ensemble of what was a good, if sombre, production.

It may have been a child of Reaganite USA, with what that entailed for the workforce, but even when I saw it I can't have been alone in the audience in thinking that its significance would extend well beyond the time and the country in which reactionary old Ronnie Raygun was to the fore. The author choosing estate agents chose well, but decades later few would recall what product was being sold in 'Death of a Salesman' while never forgetting what the play said to them. Or consider the dilemma at the core of the old 'Voysey Inheritance' along with the recent run on Northern Rock bank, or the high-level discussion between interested supposedly mutually antagonistic parties in 'Saint Joan' concerned with doing down and dispensing with the eponymous maid, and its contemporary echoes.

#15 PamM

PamM

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:06 PM

Sorry, this is impending old age doing for my memory. I meant the Gregory Burke play about the teenagers in Gibraltar and its name completely escapes me, but it had army connotations (ie they were the children of service personnel). I realise we are drifting off the point here, so should probably shut up now.

QUOTE(keysersoze @ Oct 8 2007, 10:52 PM) View Post
What does that mean? It doesn't make a lot of sense

Black Watch premiered only a little over a year ago, without Tom Smith in the cast. He took over from Paul Higgins for its Scottish tour earlier this year and gave up the part to Higgins for the current US tour.

#16 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Oct 8 2007, 02:56 PM) View Post
Alda was Levene. At the time there was talk of the entire production transferring to London - I think the new London production has the same director (I have not checked).

I see an actor in the new production has withdrawn and the press night is postponed - bad news as it is an emsemble piece.

I think the Broadway production with Alda was directed by [hit and miss] Joe Mantello, whereas this London revival is directed by [the excellent] James Macdonald.

#17 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

Whoops I think I must have fallen asleep at one point because I completely missed the guy who asks for his money back but that was more to do with the after effects of a long exhausting day at work on the end of a long exhausting week (oh the irony) - and crap seats.  I don't think I've ever sat in the upper circle before and I wouldn't bother again as the production doesn't really carry up there.  I love the play but, at the risk of doing a Billington, I found that this production was not as instantly engaging as the Young Vic one (have I got the theatre right? The one with James Bolam and Douglas Henshall... or am I combining two productions... Donmar maybe?).  But Jonathan Pryce was amazing and if I had the time, energy and money (or connections) to see it again from the stalls or dress circle I'd give it a go.

Oh and you'd never know Peter McDonald was a newcomer.  He was perfect.

#18 Elle

Elle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:26 AM

Good reviews in the papers ~ "Jonathan Pryce is impressive as the washed-up salesman Shelly Levene, his pleading eyes and horribly insinuating manner putting one in mind of a kicked dog." I liked that (Charles Spencer). But it's a shame not more mention was given to the actors Matthew Marsh and Paul Freeman who I thought were outstanding especially Matthew Marsh (Moss) who reminded me of a cross between Brian Dennehy (for his stage presence and stature) and Kevin Spacey (stage presence and humour ~ that twinkle in his eye) and with a wonderful voice which projected fabulously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users