16 replies to this topic

#1 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:33 PM

The official website for this is very unhelpful.
www.swimmingwithsharks.co.uk
I know nothing about this play - what is it about and do you think it will be worth seeing? Do we rate Slater as a stage actor? I did not see One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

#2 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

I started watching the Spacey movie recently but it was very violent so I skipped to the end to see what happened sad.gif A good story but I just found it too unpleasant to watch in parts.

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

Do you mean psychologically violent or physically or both? Yes it was but for me that was part of its grim fascination.

I have to confess, I'm considering seeing this partly because I've always found Helen Baxendale really cute. And am curious to see what she's like on stage.

I'm always a bit niggled though by plays adapted from films. I don't know why, and I think it's probably quite irrational. Why shouldn't there be? I always come up with a blank on that one.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#4 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Oct 8 2007, 10:55 AM) View Post
Do you mean psychologically violent or physically or both? Yes it was but for me that was part of its grim fascination.

Oh dear: I'd been looking forward to seeing Christian Slater on stage again - but I don't enjoy violence!
Any more info available (without divulging anything best kept secret)?

Might it be much less violent on stage?

(I usually choose feelgood romances - often musicals!)

#5 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Oct 8 2007, 10:55 AM) View Post

Both really, but more the physical side which pretty much amounted to torture. Yes, it was necessary to the plot but I found it just a bit too much. I was watching it on an iPod with headphones so maybe that made it more immediate. Probably the violence will be more stylised on the stage?

Basically the story revolves around a young ambitious man with the  bullying boss from hell. Finally the worm turns. That's about all I can say without giving away too much.

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

I thought the film was hilarious. And the torture scene might have been worse if it was actually possible to inflict paper cuts in that way.

Wasn't Spacey in the film of Glengarry Glen Ross as well as Swimming with Sharks? Seems to be his week, film-wise.

#7 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

I'd be very tempted by this if it wasn't for Helen Baxendale but her voice irritates me so much that it makes me want to chop of my own ears with a blunt pair of scissors.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#8 Karen64

Karen64

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

I am seeing this show on Saturday and I agree Helen is a little annoying but am hoping that the appearance of Christian Slater will ease that a little
I saw Christian in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest during both runs and have to say I think he has great stage presence rolleyes.gif

#9 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Oct 8 2007, 04:46 PM) View Post
Wasn't Spacey in the film of Glengarry Glen Ross as well as Swimming with Sharks?

Yes, he played Williamson. I thought he was very good in it. He put every ounce of that occasional arch Spacey campness into the line "They just. Like talking. To salesmen."

Although I understand what people mean about Baxendale's voice, I actually like it. And I always thought she was cute, especially in Cardiac Arrest. So I might see it just to see what she's like on stage.

The hacking-off-my-own ears thing would, for me, apply to June Sarpong, whose voice strikes me as being what a rusty cheesegrater would sound like if it could talk. Of course, rather than hack off my ears I'd probably just switch the TV off.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#10 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

'Swimming With Sharks', Christian Slater's new West End play, has been open for Previews since last Friday -
I'm amazed NO Forummers have yet managed to see it & write us a few lines about the experience
(even if not giving away anything best kept secret).

(I was very impressed by Christian Slater in 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' -
I'd like to see him in something else - something offering different challenges.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users