Jump to content


* * * * - 1 votes

The Wizard Of Oz


  • Please log in to reply
2590 replies to this topic

#1861 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Olly, please don't start this again.

Comments on websites/twitter or from any person or 'company' that are not a well recognised reviewer are JUST opinions. Something that you physically cannot tell someone they're wrong about. These comments from twitter or whatever are not professional reviews i.e critics, newspapers and the such. Even then, when a show has been reviewed by a critic, it is still personal opinion! So unless someone is so perfect in a show that not a single person has a bad thing to say, then some people will not like them. I haven't seen him, so I can't comment, but despite any debates you've had in the past about this show closing, it is beyond any comprehension of mine that you are now not even taking into consideration peoples personal views and opinions about whether he is good or not and not recognising what constitutes a professional theatre review and what constitutes an opinion.

You may think Russell is the best thing since sliced bread, but others don't - and this page proves it. Which now does mean the 'reviews' are mixed. So when someone asks if Russell is good, you simply cannot state that he is great as 100% fact. You've seen it for yourself now that not everyone shares this particular view!
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#1862 ollyd24

ollyd24

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

View Postmusicalmadness, on 23 February 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

Olly, please don't start this again.

Comments on websites/twitter or from any person or 'company' that are not a well recognised reviewer are JUST opinions. Something that you physically cannot tell someone they're wrong about. These comments from twitter or whatever are not professional reviews i.e critics, newspapers and the such. Even then, when a show has been reviewed by a critic, it is still personal opinion! So unless someone is so perfect in a show that not a single person has a bad thing to say, then some people will not like them. I haven't seen him, so I can't comment, but despite any debates you've had in the past about this show closing, it is beyond any comprehension of mine that you are now not even taking into consideration peoples personal views and opinions about whether he is good or not and not recognising what constitutes a professional theatre review and what constitutes an opinion.

You may think Russell is the best thing since sliced bread, but others don't - and this page proves it. Which now does mean the 'reviews' are mixed. So when someone asks if Russell is good, you simply cannot state that he is great as 100% fact. You've seen it for yourself now that not everyone shares this particular view!
omg- i was just saying it was from
a company!! i think m c is better! didnt say great! anyway its my opinion! no im not disregarding any ones view/opinion!! im justsaying when i saw him he was good to
me! sorry for saying my opnion

#1863 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

View Postollyd24, on 23 February 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

omg- i was just saying it was from
a company!! i think m c is better! didnt say great! anyway its my opinion! no im not disregarding any ones view/opinion!! im justsaying when i saw him he was good to
me! sorry for saying my opnion

There's no problem with you stating your opinion, however arguing the case that everyone thinks the same isn't terrible helpful. By the way - "reviews" tend to mean printed reviews (or WoS), as those are the ones generally well respected and quoted. Opinions on other sites, whilst helpful to garner a wider spread of thought than the selected few, don't really count as "reviews" in the bigger picture.

#1864 ollyd24

ollyd24

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 24 February 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

There's no problem with you stating your opinion, however arguing the case that everyone thinks the same isn't terrible helpful. By the way - "reviews" tend to mean printed reviews (or WoS), as those are the ones generally well respected and quoted. Opinions on other sites, whilst helpful to garner a wider spread of thought than the selected few, don't really count as "reviews" in the bigger picture.
ok

#1865 ollyd24

ollyd24

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

i dont no if its 100% true but, on twitter arlene philips n graham hurman are flying to toronto for singing and dancing auditions! could this be for palladium cast or if the production moves to toronto??

#1866 wickedlover

wickedlover

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N Ireland

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

They are opening the show Toronto, it was confirmed a couple of weeks ago

http://broadwayworld...oronto-20120206
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#1867 ollyd24

ollyd24

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

View Postwickedlover, on 25 February 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

They are opening the show Toronto, it was confirmed a couple of weeks ago

http://broadwayworld...oronto-20120206
it says early 2013-  jan n feb, do u think it will
close at palladium early or still in october?? i think it will finish in october

#1868 wickedlover

wickedlover

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N Ireland

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Personally, I think it can go either way...it's currently booking until October at least, but theres no guarantee that it will stay open until then...I hope it does last until October though.  And there is normally a pattern with these shows that they close with a year of the TV contest winner leaving.

But I am keeping fingers crossed, as I really want to see it again in June


LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#1869 ollyd24

ollyd24

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

View Postwickedlover, on 25 February 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Personally, I think it can go either way...it's currently booking until October at least, but theres no guarantee that it will stay open until then...I hope it does last until October though.  And there is normally a pattern with these shows that they close with a year of the TV contest winner leaving.

But I am keeping fingers crossed, as I really want to see it again in June
me too... booked again for september, even if it does close like u've said the pattern of the winner leaving..  a year cud be til jan/feb 2013! hopefully it wont close b4 ocotber as its such a fantastic show

#1870 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

I believe the current cast are currently only contracted until September. Of course, they can always ask them to extend for a month... What ever filler show comes in over Christmas (if it does) will also have to bear in mind that the Royal Variety Performance will be being filmed in early December.

Although it's not confirmed that the RVP will be at the Palladium, I think it is likely... 2012 is the 100th year anniversary of the first RVP so the theatre will definitely want to hold it there if they can.

Maybe the RVP will be at the Palace Theatre (where it started in 1912)...!!!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users