#2521 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 14 July 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

This is something that has always slightly surprised me - why does everyone refer to The Wizard of Oz as "WOZ" or "WoZ" when the initials are "TWOO" or "WOO"? It is initials we are nudging towards using.

School production I did a few years back led to the same thing.

I think because others did and I followed suit, but tbh, oddly enough and strange as it sounds, I've never really noticed that it's not the initials. :lol:

#2522 ollyd24

ollyd24

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

i say it as WOZ because its easier to put it as TWOO and is more catchier and slick! sounds better e.g "going to watch W-O-Z (sounds likes Waz/Wuz)" or going to watch T-W-O-O (sounds like TWOO)" dont no about anyone else but i wud use WOZ

#2523 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 14 July 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

I think because others did and I followed suit, but tbh, oddly enough and strange as it sounds, I've never really noticed that it's not the initials. :lol:

I just type WOO/TWOO for the standard "follow the initials" thing - but I can see that WOZ looks "neater". But I never say the initials of West End shows so I never have the situation ollyd24 describes.

#2524 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Im going to the final show!!

#2525 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 14 July 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

This is something that has always slightly surprised me - why does everyone refer to The Wizard of Oz as "WOZ" or "WoZ" when the initials are "TWOO" or "WOO"?

Actually when acronyms are formed usually you only use the initials of the principle words (like in Title Case), so prepositions, articles and conjunctions are generally omitted.

For example Member of Parliament is MP, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers is IEEE.

Musicals are different I suppose we because we love shortening show names! Mis, Poppins, Phantom, Superstar...  at the end of the day WOZ sounds better that WOO when you say it out loud. "What so do you work on?" "Woo!" (Actually we just say Wizard).

The Only Way is Essex should really just be OWE, but TOWIE sounds a lot better...

Off topic, but there you go...

#2526 student

student

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

missed the £10 tickets on last minute.com! Want to see this but for the least amount of £££ possible!!! Can anyone point me in the direction of any bargains? Thanks!

#2527 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postwetheatreboy, on 16 July 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Actually when acronyms are formed usually you only use the initials of the principle words (like in Title Case), so prepositions, articles and conjunctions are generally omitted.

For example Member of Parliament is MP, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers is IEEE.

Musicals are different I suppose we because we love shortening show names! Mis, Poppins, Phantom, Superstar...  at the end of the day WOZ sounds better that WOO when you say it out loud. "What so do you work on?" "Woo!" (Actually we just say Wizard).

The Only Way is Essex should really just be OWE, but TOWIE sounds a lot better...

Off topic, but there you go...
I knew this thread was going to be OTT. lol

#2528 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

View Poststevepearman, on 17 July 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

I knew this thread was going to be OTT. lol

Couldn't agree more...

#2529 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Im in the front row for the final show, cant believe it ;D

#2530 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Why has the 27th July show been cancelled??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users