1 reply to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

I was wondering if the drama students at RADA these days have to learn the posh voice. I know they learn all sorts of accents but seeing this play last night I was struck by the accents in it, the posh actor and his mates, the cockney butler, the Swedish housekeeper..all very funny, like a masterclass in accents for the theatre. Do they have classes in Noel Coward for some and estuary for others?
Loved the play by the way, not as sharp as Private Lives but very enjoyable. And isn't the speech about learning to write plays , a speech from the heart I guess, so very good?

#2 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Oct 12 2007, 01:04 PM) View Post
I was wondering if the drama students at RADA these days have to learn the posh voice. I know they learn all sorts of accents but seeing this play last night I was struck by the accents in it, the posh actor and his mates, the cockney butler, the Swedish housekeeper..all very funny, like a masterclass in accents for the theatre. Do they have classes in Noel Coward for some and estuary for others?
Loved the play by the way, not as sharp as Private Lives but very enjoyable. And isn't the speech about learning to write plays , a speech from the heart I guess, so very good?

The "posh" voice or RP is taught at drama schools, not so much at the northern schools, its still seen as a must have accent on most actors cv's.
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users