• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 deluded munchkin

deluded munchkin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

Just seen the 'latest news' item on here about Howard Goodall's "musical" Days of Hope. It's on at the kings head with a very experienced cast. (god knows how they got David Burt to do it there  - he must really like the show)!!

Don't know many of the others but the credits look quite good. Any one know anything else.

By the way - am i the only person who didn't knwo Goodall wrote the Vicar of Dibley theme??

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:34 PM

It looks interesting.  It's reassuring that this spate of quality revivals of intelligent musicals like this is continuing apace - and that the King's Head are getting in on it (it seems unreasonable that it should ALL happen at the Mernier!)

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:43 AM

Have always loved this show and it will be great to see it again - especially with such a good cast.

#4 Out In The Sticks

Out In The Sticks

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Musical Theatre, watching and performing (amateur).....

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE(deluded munchkin @ Feb 22 2007, 10:17 PM) View Post
By the way - am i the only person who didn't knwo Goodall wrote the Vicar of Dibley theme??

I only knew when it was announced that he was going to be Music Czar, good choice me thinks!!!

#5 MarkBarlow

MarkBarlow

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

I think Siobhan McCarthy is probably our most underrated musical theatre stars - dont you? Perhaps only equal to Clare Burt and Anna Francolini (before her nomination this year). She is just so bloody brilliant - no one else has managed to make Donna in Mamma Mia look like an acting role since her - and she sang the pants off it. Cant wait to see her in this.

#6 achilles

achilles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(MarkBarlow @ Feb 24 2007, 12:29 PM) View Post
I think Siobhan McCarthy is probably our most underrated musical theatre stars - dont you? Perhaps only equal to Clare Burt and Anna Francolini (before her nomination this year). She is just so bloody brilliant - no one else has managed to make Donna in Mamma Mia look like an acting role since her - and she sang the pants off it. Cant wait to see her in this.

Along with Days of Hope, I would love to see Goodall's Girlfriends revived and The Hired Man - such  beautiful scores.

#7 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(achilles @ Feb 24 2007, 12:57 PM) View Post
Along with Days of Hope, I would love to see Goodall's Girlfriends revived

In the context of this cartoon (safe for work, if slightly tasteless) I completely misunderstood that, and for a moment thought that maybe he was spending too much time at the morgue.

and The Hired Man - such  beautiful scores.

I loved Joanna Read's production of The Hired Man at the Salisbury Playhouse a few years ago. It ranks among the best productions I've ever seen, and it's a shame it wasn't recorded.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#8 deluded munchkin

deluded munchkin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Feb 24 2007, 05:23 PM) View Post
In the context of this cartoon (safe for work, if slightly tasteless) I completely misunderstood that, and for a moment thought that maybe he was spending too much time at the morgue.
I loved Joanna Read's production of The Hired Man at the Salisbury Playhouse a few years ago. It ranks among the best productions I've ever seen, and it's a shame it wasn't recorded.

Have done a bit of digging (Dress Circle!!) and it looks like Goodall is going to be on Radio 4's Loose Ends on Saturday so there may be a bit of info about the show....there's cheap tickets on this site but I think I'll wait until I hear what he has to say about it....

#9 AntonyHope

AntonyHope

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:47 AM

I LOVE this musical.  Saw it at the Hampstead Theatre many years ago (showing my age!) and it's stayed with me ever since.  Lovely to see it's being done again - and with such a good cast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users