#3 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

I got mine and it's fabulous.

very different to the other recording I have heard. The orchestrations have always been very busy to represent NY in this recording everything is very sparse to represent a singular person.

All the voices are good, quite powerful in many places. Raul Esparza is splendid. He has a much fuller voice to Adrian Lester and so Being Alive is really belted out, it has such an impact ... I will now have to check out RE for other recordings

The bobby bubi's etc are really hissed out by the cast,  giving the impression of a Woodpecker hammering into Robert's head. And thus really creating the impression of man who could have a breakdown.

Another 100 people is recorded as it's performed live, in three sections. It's lacks the impact of previous recording and especially as the orchestrations are so sparse. I'm not sure from this you can sense the hectic pace of NY

Generally everything is wonderful and it's very snug with the rest of my recording  rolleyes.gif

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#4 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:08 PM

I found a lot to like and some bits which I really hated.
The orchestrations are ok but I prefer the originals. There is a very metronomic feel about some of the numbers - One is very aware of the structure of the music. I suspect that is a price you pay for having the actor/musician option.
Esparza is good, especially in "Marry me a little" but I found his "Being alive" surprisingly unmoving. there was none of the sense of disintegration that Adrian Lester brought to it.
Didn't like the way that "Another hundred people" was done at all - the singer seemed to be trying to belt out of her range.
Liked having all the dialogue.
HATED "Getting married". It sets off like a bat out of hell with the result that there's nowhere to go with it. So there's no sense of Amy's mounting panic. A really crass misjudgement. odd when most of the other tempi seem very well judged (despite my cavil about the metronomic feel)
All the cast are good without that last sense of character identity. I always feel you should know exactly which character is singing without checking the lib.
So, good but it won't replace the Donmar recording in my affections.

Sebastian

#5 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:28 PM

I've never like Raul Esparaza's voice.  I hated his Riff Raff in The Rocky Horror Show and didn't like his Philip Sallon in Taboo either so I'm in no hurry to get this recording.  I've got the OBC, the '95 Broadway cast (which I wasn't keen on either) and the '96 London cast (my favourite).
Give Yourself Over To Absolute Pleasure

#6 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(angelfan @ Mar 2 2007, 10:28 PM) View Post
I've never like Raul Esparaza's voice.  I hated his Riff Raff in The Rocky Horror Show and didn't like his Philip Sallon in Taboo either so I'm in no hurry to get this recording.  I've got the OBC, the '95 Broadway cast (which I wasn't keen on either) and the '96 London cast (my favourite).
Mine too!  smile.gif

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users