26 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

What has happened to the Almeida's previously announced production of this ? They are as bad as the Old Vic (with Norman Conquests) - they announce something in an (albeit dim) blaze of publicity ( http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/new...contentId=92014 ) and then it doesn't appear.

#2 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

Maybe they remembered that the play sucks.  Did you see that one at the Young Vic with Francesa Annis?  I distinctly remember playing boxes (that thing where you draw dots then take turn to join them) and making paper boats out of tickets during that show.  Never again!

#3 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Oct 17 2007, 09:39 PM) View Post
Maybe they remembered that the play sucks.  Did you see that one at the Young Vic with Francesa Annis?  I distinctly remember playing boxes (that thing where you draw dots then take turn to join them) and making paper boats out of tickets during that show.  Never again!

Fortunately I did not see that production. I have seen the play once, at the Cottesloe in 1987 -  I don't remember much about it.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:11 AM

I hesitate to speculate about such things but I heard from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone else that it had been postponed until next year because Helen McCrory was pregnant.  Don't know how true that is.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:05 AM

Here you go - a little googling found this:

http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2007/05/british_actors_.html

What an extraordinary website. Anyway, it seems to be true that that's the reason for the postponement. Isn't Damian Lewis starring in some new very successful American cop show? How complicated.

#6 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:34 AM

Of course it's really boring - it's Ibsen.

I'll get me coat.

#7 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Oct 18 2007, 12:05 PM) View Post
Here you go - a little googling found this:

http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2007/05/british_actors_.html

What an extraordinary website. Anyway, it seems to be true that that's the reason for the postponement. Isn't Damian Lewis starring in some new very successful American cop show? How complicated.

I didn't know those two were partners. They should play the Macbeths - it adds a frisson to have a real couple playing it. Pity they didn't recast Rosmersholm with someone else though, I don't think Helen McCrory is much good.

#8 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

Oh, I disagree - I think she's terrific. I'll be seeing this one next year for sure.

#9 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:39 PM

What is boring about Ibsen plays?

#10 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Oct 18 2007, 12:53 PM) View Post
Oh, I disagree - I think she's terrific. I'll be seeing this one next year for sure.

I now see it is probably rescheduled to April 2008.

I thought she was unconvincing in Uncle Vanya, not up to the standard of the rest of the cast. But I see she was nominated for an award for it. Same as Eve Best in Hedda Gabler who I disliked too. Likewise Nancy Carroll. It sems I'm totally out of step with the current received wisdom on leading actresses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users