Sounds like my kind of book.

#22 chip

chip

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Oct 26 2007, 09:54 PM) View Post
Helen McCrory is worth waiting for. It's in the Standard tonight that she fell for DL at the Almeida rehearsing the Gold Ring thing [ which I didn't go to cos heard it was dire] I saw her yonks ago in a play about child abuse ? the Donmar. Thought she was sensational. What was the play?

Was it How I Learned To Drive by Paula Vogel (with, I think, Richard Whately too)?  

#23 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

Yes, it was. Thanks Chip. Anyway, she is v good.

#24 Guest_Guest_Skylight_*_*

Guest_Guest_Skylight_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Oct 29 2007, 02:45 PM) View Post
Well, if you read the "Rough Crossings" thread you will see that my enthusiasm is somewhat qualified.

Sorry I have been away, I took a week of to read Billington's "magesterial" history of recent theatre. Here's a quote: “Les Mis…represented a degradation of standards and a vulgarisation of taste that seemed neatly to encapsulate the philistine spirit of the Eighties.”

Haha that quote is awesome - just don't let the musicals board catch you.  I was listening to Billington on the radio this morning, enthusing about 'Beyond the Fringe'.  Funnily enough he didn't take the opportunity to slate Sir Trev's offering.  

#25 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(chip @ Oct 29 2007, 03:36 PM) View Post
Was it How I Learned To Drive by Paula Vogel (with, I think, Richard Whately too)?

laugh.gif  You must either mean Richard Whiteley or Kevin Whately. Probably the latter.

#26 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Skylight_* @ Oct 29 2007, 05:11 PM) View Post
Haha that quote is awesome - just don't let the musicals board catch you.  I was listening to Billington on the radio this morning, enthusing about 'Beyond the Fringe'.  Funnily enough he didn't take the opportunity to slate Sir Trev's offering.

He missed a trick there - when Peter Cook was at Cambridge in the Footlights doing his E.L.Wisty skit (an act that he spun out for his entire career with even the script little changed) he acquired (like Monty Python did later) a bunch of obsessive fans who used to go around repeating the act verbatim adopting the Wisty voice, and prominent in this group of acolytes was Trevor Nunn.

I believe in his masterwork Mickey Billington also slates Trev's "Nicholas Nickelby" on the grounds that no adaptation should ever be done in the theatre. Actually I haven't read his book, I lifted the quote from the surprisingly entertaining "Michael Coveney's Outrageous New Blog".

#27 chip

chip

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Oct 29 2007, 05:15 PM) View Post
laugh.gif  You must either mean Richard Whiteley or Kevin Whately. Probably the latter.

Ah, yes, you're right; Kevin -- though a pairing of Richard Whiteley and Carol Vorderman (in the McCrory part) would have been interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users