21 replies to this topic

#1 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

Just read about the play which will be playing at The Almeida from Jan 08- March 08? Will anyone from here be going to see it?

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(MaxCady @ Oct 19 2007, 05:27 PM) View Post
Just read about the play which will be playing at The Almeida from Jan 08- March 08? Will anyone from here be going to see it?

I certainly wont. Can't believe the Almeida are doing this - it seems only 5 minutes since it was on in the West End. It seems there is no end to this current trend of repeating recently shown plays & musicals (Much Ado, Joseph, Grease, Fair Lady et al)? I am heartily sick of it. Is there no innovation or imagination out there? There are THOUSANDS of plays & musicals to choose from many of which are worthy of revival. Hopefully the Almeida's box office returns will teach them something but I suppose the trendy Islingtonians will keep them busy.

#3 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Oct 19 2007, 06:20 PM) View Post
I certainly wont. Can't believe the Almeida are doing this - it seems only 5 minutes since it was on in the West End. It seems there is no end to this current trend of repeating recently shown plays & musicals (Much Ado, Joseph, Grease, Fair Lady et al)? I am heartily sick of it. Is there no innovation or imagination out there? There are THOUSANDS of plays & musicals to choose from many of which are worthy of revival. Hopefully the Almeida's box office returns will teach them something but I suppose the trendy Islingtonians will keep them busy.

I'm sure I already posted a reply but it's mysteriously disappeared...
Anyway, I'll definitely be seeing this, because when it was last on in the West End I was 12 and wouldn't have appreciated or understood it. Also, it's the only Pinter that I like, and the casting is very intriguing. The Almeida's decision to do this play can hardly be compared to the decision to revive Grease again, can it?
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(josh @ Oct 20 2007, 12:15 AM) View Post
when it was last on in the West End I was 12.  The Almeida's decision to do this play can hardly be compared to the decision to revive Grease again, can it?

The much praised Gate Theatre Dublin production with the magnificent Ian Holm played at the Comedy Theatre circa 2004. Nice to have such youthful people on here josh!!
Obviously I make no comparison between Pinter & Grease (perish the thought!) - I'm referring to the general principle of any type of play or show being revived again too soon. For example there are plenty other Pinters that have'nt seen the light of day for some time although many would be considered unsuitable for under 18s which might present a problem for josh rolleyes.gif
I believe the previous West End production was the one at the Garrick starring Timothy West & Michael Kitchen in 1978.

#5 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Oct 20 2007, 12:05 PM) View Post
The much praised Gate Theatre Dublin production with the magnificent Ian Holm played at the Comedy Theatre circa 2004. Nice to have such youthful people on here josh!!
Obviously I make no comparison between Pinter & Grease (perish the thought!) - I'm referring to the general principle of any type of play or show being revived again too soon. For example there are plenty other Pinters that have'nt seen the light of day for some time although many would be considered unsuitable for under 18s which might present a problem for josh rolleyes.gif
I believe the previous West End production was the one at the Garrick starring Timothy West & Michael Kitchen in 1978.

I thought the 2001 production was the last in the West End! Sadly I'm not quite as youthful as I led you to believe laugh.gif

I understand your point better now! It is just easier and lazier to revive an already established piece than dig out something unknown, I suppose...

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

Actually I think the Almeida has dug out quite a lot of unknown stuff in the last few years - the last few productions from memory have been Awake and Sing, Big White Fog, Dying for It, and There Came a Gypsy, none of which was known to me at least (though I think Awake and Sing was done in New York recently).  And Josh, you're right. The Ian Holm Homecoming at the Comedy Theatre was in 2001.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Oct 20 2007, 01:05 PM) View Post
). And Josh, you're right. The Ian Holm Homecoming at the Comedy Theatre was in 2001.

mmmm perhaps you're right. To me that is still pretty recent!

#8 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:42 PM

Hmm dilemma - I love Pinter and I've seen almost every major production over the last 15 years but I can't stand the Almeida.

I think I need to see a full cast list and the director and designer - and ticket price, before I decide.  I suppose I could always hold out for the fact that if it does really well it may transfer... .

#9 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Oct 21 2007, 04:42 PM) View Post
Hmm dilemma - I love Pinter and I've seen almost every major production over the last 15 years but I can't stand the Almeida.

I think I need to see a full cast list and the director and designer - and ticket price, before I decide.  I suppose I could always hold out for the fact that if it does really well it may transfer... .

Why don't you like the Almeida?
I have to admit I've never been...

#10 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Oct 21 2007, 05:03 PM) View Post
Why don't you like the Almeida?
I have to admit I've never been...

Too cliquey.  Plus the fact that they managed to refubish it with seating in the non stalls areas that a very non-pc friend of mine described as 'suitable only for Japanese amputees'.

The only Almedia season I've really enjoyed is the one when they were based at King's Cross.  If only they could have stayed there.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users