21 replies to this topic

#11 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

You and I , Skylight do not make a clique. The audience is just the same as at all the other theatres except perhaps the fringe and Travelex at the National where there are 'young people'.
We should be able to see Pinter's plays; he is our Nobel winning playwright after all. I didn't see the last one so I will certainly book for this. Someone mentioned the casting- who is in it?

#12 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Oct 24 2007, 07:10 PM) View Post
You and I , Skylight do not make a clique. The audience is just the same as at all the other theatres except perhaps the fringe and Travelex at the National where there are 'young people'.
We should be able to see Pinter's plays; he is our Nobel winning playwright after all. I didn't see the last one so I will certainly book for this. Someone mentioned the casting- who is in it?

(From WOS News)

At the Almeida, Kenneth Cranham will pay Max, with Jenny Jules as Ruth (the first black actress to play the role), the wife of Max’s third son who manages to seduce them all. They’re joined in the cast by Neil Dudgeon (as Teddy), Danny Dyer (Joey), Nigel Lindsay (Lenny) and Anthony O'Donnell (Sam).

Has anyone seen Danny Dyer on stage? He's a wooden, typecast film actor and I can't imagine him being up to much in the theatre.
Otherwise the cast seems strong.

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for that; I don't know any of the people except Cranham who should be v good. They will get loads of publicity if the actress really is a first so to speak. Updates the whole play doesn't it?

#14 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:36 AM

I've never understood this accusation of 'cliqueyness' but hear it reguarly aimed at, in particular, the Almeida and the Royal Court. Skylight, can you explain what you mean? I ask out of genuine curiosity. One time I think I felt on the wrong end of that was the one time I visited Upstairs At The Gatehouse, earlier this year, where I definitely felt like an outsider, as though I'd gone to a party where I didn't know anyone but they all knew each other. Is that what you mean?

Oh come on, the 'trendy Islingtonians' thing is a bit of a knee-jerk remark, isn't it? Maybe you were joking. It's certainly a useful stock put-down to throw at the Almeida and its audience. If I've travelled from elsewhere to see it - and believe me, I'm far from trendy - you can bank on a fair proportion of the audience also being untrendy non-Islingtonians!

I don't go along with this idea that we need some kind of decent interval of 6+ years between revivals. Each company and producing house is its own concern and they shouldn't have to think about the last time a particular play was staged a few miles away in the West End, for example. If they feel like doing that play and have their own reasons for staging it, that's fine by me. If the audience stay away because they have Homecoming fatigue due to there having been a West End production 6 years ago, then the Almeida will learn its lesson.

keysersoze I saw Dyer in the original production of Celebration (at the Almeida! Oh no - am I a clique member?!  laugh.gif ) and he was very good. I've seen him on film and while yes he's quite typecast I haven't found him wooden.

Lynette I'm sure you'd find Nigel Lindsay and Anthony O'Donnell familiar, they've each done a fair bit of stage work.

Regarding the seating, they do have £6 seats at the stalls sides quite close to the stage and at the rear stalls, due to thin pillars in the sightline but I haven't found it too distracting, for that low price it's worth it.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#15 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

I've never heard of Danny Dyer but the rest of the cast looks promising - but who's the director???

Backdrifter by too cliquey I mean that everyone seems to know the place and eachother so I feel like I don't fit in.  It only happens at the Almeida (even when I lived within walking distance I still felt out of place) and the Royal Court (which appears to be full of people in expensive clothing who are there to be seen rather than to see - that bloody restaurant doesn't help).  I think the members' lists probably ensure that that scenario continues.  The tickets are cheap but whenever there's anything on that a lot of people want to see it's difficult to get in because the tickets are sold to the members (who could no doubt afford a bit more anyway) or reserved for friends of members, by which I mean if you know someone you can get in but if not forget it.  Of course the fact that they're both relatively small spaces also increases the chance of that happening.  Some people have said the same about the Donmar but because it's in the centre of town and I'm happy to stand I've never had that sense of 'ooh look at me standing out as the outsider' at the Donmar.

#16 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:42 AM

Funnily, for me this production is all about Danny Dyer.

He was TERRRRRIFIC in Pinter's 'No Man's Land' at the National (the best Pinter production I've ever seen, thanks also to the pure knockout godliness of John Wood); he's made for this material. Definitely seeing it for him.

#17 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(Theatresquirrel @ Oct 25 2007, 12:42 PM) View Post
Funnily, for me this production is all about Danny Dyer.

He was TERRRRRIFIC in Pinter's 'No Man's Land' at the National (the best Pinter production I've ever seen, thanks also to the pure knockout godliness of John Wood); he's made for this material. Definitely seeing it for him.

Oh - in that case I must have seen him too.  I'm getting a bit rubbish with names clearly but I recognise the photo - http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/1/m21898.html

On the cliquey point - I typed the above then thought all the same points about members and size apply to the Tricycle and yet the Tricycle isn't cliquey.  Now if anyone can sum up the difference between the Almeida and the Trike they'll answer Backdrifter's question.

#18 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

"Now if anyone can sum up the difference between the Almeida and the Trike they'll answer Backdrifter's question."

Er...Trike not as successful (though hugely meritorious in its own right, certainly), not in Islington, therefore not tickling that enormous chip on your shoulder which you displayed in your last post? Next time you think you can't get a ticket, try the website, as I did for the Stckard Channing thing recently. You might be surprised.

#19 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Oct 25 2007, 01:13 PM) View Post
"Now if anyone can sum up the difference between the Almeida and the Trike they'll answer Backdrifter's question."

Er...Trike not as successful (though hugely meritorious in its own right, certainly), not in Islington, therefore not tickling that enormous chip on your shoulder which you displayed in your last post? Next time you think you can't get a ticket, try the website, as I did for the Stckard Channing thing recently. You might be surprised.

I meant the Almeida/Royal Court and the Trike.  Chip - hmm interesting assumption.  You did read the bit where I said I used to live within walking distance of the Almeida?  And I wasn't part of an assisted housing scheme.  wink.gif

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

No, it was the bit about everyone seeming to know each other so you don't fit in - poor Skylight, but what bollocks!  And as for the Court, your comments about expensive clothing and the bloody restaurant sounded pretty chippy to me. I like the bar/restaurant there, and I don't wear expensive clothing (well, not all the time, anyway). wink.gif I'd a million times sooner have a drink there than in the Donmar - why on earth doesn't the Donmar do something to make its bar a little more pleasant? Every time I walk on that nylon floor I expect an electric shock. But I digress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users