• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 hashtose

hashtose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

I seriously cannot be the only person who thinks that Vivien Carter is incredible as Velma Kelly, and gives possibly one of the greatest protrayals of the character, ever.

Anyone want to tell me why they love/don't like her?

#2 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

biggrin.gif I love Vivien!! I'd be back to see her every week if I didn't dislike Emma so much!! But yes, she's a great dancer, which I think it the most important thing about this show. I love her wittiness as Velma too, it's so easy to just play her as a hard bitch. She's also a joy to talk to at stage door, very approachable. I hope it's not too long before we see her in something else when she leaves at the end of the month.

#3 Hanzicles

Hanzicles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

I absolutely adore Vivien!! I think she's such a talented, unique performer.
Her dancing is absolutely amazing, and the best I've ever seen it as far as Velma goes - and I've seen quite a few!

Her voice blows me away every time and I find her My Own Best Friend so moving that I've got tears in my eyes every time. It's nice to see someone play Velma with a bit of emotion, rather than, as cat123 said, just the hard bitch, which I agree is all too easy to do. I think there's a little more to Velma than her "doesn't give a shit" attitude and her...slightly homicidal tendancies wink.gif Vivien's the only actress I've seen ever actually develop her character even further and give her something of a past, and actual feelings - I think it's easy to believe she has no heart after she killed her husband and sister, but then, that's why she did it - because she was so devestated. I get that with Vivien, and I actually care about her Velma.

As for her other performances in Chicago, I could love-in off of her all day. Her All That Jazz is sensational - I've never seen it performed in such a way. I can't quite put my finger on what makes Vivien's version so different, but it just stands out above all the rest and really proves why she's so worthy of this West End role.
She's also fantastic in "Cell Block Tango" - it's one of those moments where there's a real power to her voice that makes you shiver. It's amazing.

In all, I love Vivien - I think she's incredibly talented and hope we see more of her after she's finished her run as Velma smile.gif

#4 Hanzicles

Hanzicles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

Vivien's run as Velma has been extended until October 24th smile.gif Happy days!

#5 hashtose

hashtose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

And again until December 5th!!!  Happy days!!!!! biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

#6 hashtose

hashtose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

http://www.facebook....145890025445430 :D :D :D

#7 hashtose

hashtose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

The fabulous Vivien Carter has been extended again, until January 22nd. YAY!

#8 hashtose

hashtose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:36 PM

February 5th is now the new, current "last night" for Vivien :)

#9 hashtose

hashtose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

To confirm, Vivien's final night was indeed February 5th... She was simply sensational!  Please join her Facebook page to keep updated with what she does next :)
http://www.facebook....145890025445430

#10 meunier

meunier

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

Absolutely delighted to note that VIVIEN CARTER will have a new song created for her (A POISON TREE - lyric WILLIAM BLAKE; Composer: CORIN BUCKERIDGE) for the upcoming TIM WILLIAMS AWARDS 2011 programme, WHEN YOU HEAR MY VOICE - 26.6.2011, Cochrane Theatre, 6-9pm  Full details can be found on: http://www.lswproduc...co.uk/voice.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users