1 reply to this topic

#1 Lanark

Lanark

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:The theatre, the cinema and music and foreign travel

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

I saw Carlos Acosta at Sadler's Wells on Friday night and the audience loved it. Not, perhaps, the greatest of choreographic experiences, and far too short and with too little of the great man, but a delightful evening which the audience enjoyed - yet the reviews have been incredibly sniffy. But the those who can do, and those who can't write ballet reviews I suppose. Maybe he is slumming when he should be dancing the great roles, but he was providing a showcase for some talented Cubans, giving his admirers pleasure, and that is something that should at least be conceded. I loath the musical works of the Lord but at least I recognise that he has given pleasure to millions. I might wish they could be pleasured by something worth being pleasured by, but that is beside the point. And even at its most trite the Acosta evening was better than a Lord W one.

#2 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:02 AM

Those reviews couldn't be any further from the audience experience. I saw it Friday night and Sunday evening, both times the audience seemed very very happy. I certainly had the biggest grin on my face during the Le Corsair and the piece just before it was the first dance performance I have seen that was actually funny. It might have offended some people who take the ballet way to seriously. Altogether the show was a bit short, and I could have done without the second piece, perhaps even without the first, but I really liked their way of glueing it all together with the book-reading girl. People want to be snobbish about it - their loss and more tickets for me.

Perhaps it should have been called 'A showcase of the Cuban Ballet featuring Carlos Acosta' to prevent some people's disappointment at seeing dancers other than him on stage. Based on what I saw I'll go and see the Cuban Ballet again, I loved their playful style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users