• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aurora

Aurora

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

Anyone else seen this? I went last night and thoroughly enjoyed it - although, like a small child, my attention span wanes at 1 hr 45 mins with no interval. blink.gif

Design was the first thing that stood out for me, they made the stage seem spacious while retaining the sense of intimacy where required for scenes in small rooms.

Very funny, very modern dialogue delivered with superb pace by a strong cast(including two CSSD graduates - yay!)

Thoroughly recommended. rolleyes.gif

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

CSSD is what [ I'm betraying my ignorance I know ] as I guess you are one or connected by your enthusiasm.

#3 Aurora

Aurora

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Nov 1 2007, 03:54 PM) View Post
CSSD is what [ I'm betraying my ignorance I know ] as I guess you are one or connected by your enthusiasm.

Sorry, that was incredibly wanky of me. Central School of Speech and Drama. ohmy.gif

#4 chenzya

chenzya

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:20 AM

I took my other half and my mother to see Joe Guy on her birthday. I throughly enjoyed it. I agree with the comment amount the smart use of space on the stage. Transitions between each scene were smooth and performance energectic. The actors, in all their roles were believeable.

I had known before seeing the play that it would address the issue about the tensions between the African and Caribbean communities. What I didn't know was how much this would prove difficult viewings at times. It was an honest dialouge throughout.

A British born female with Caribbean parents, I was watching the play with my Nigerian Born Partner. It was somewhat ammusing to us that we could so easily place ourselves in the characters of 'Joe' and 'Naomi.'

Concentration throughtout the play is of the upmost importance as dialougue is delivered at lightning speed. The length of the play was adequate enough for the story development although my bottwem did ache a little, probably due to no interval.

I am pleased I went to see the play which delivered a whole lot more then advertised.

#5 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE(Aurora @ Nov 1 2007, 03:41 PM) View Post
Anyone else seen this? I went last night and thoroughly enjoyed it - although, like a small child, my attention span wanes at 1 hr 45 mins with no interval. blink.gif

what do you do if you got to the cinema and watch a movie? especially as some of them are becoming epic monsters in terms of running time!

This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#6 Aurora

Aurora

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(Laughingmonsta @ Nov 2 2007, 08:11 AM) View Post
what do you do if you got to the cinema and watch a movie? especially as some of them are becoming epic monsters in terms of running time!

I usually have a) a larger seat and b)the option to sit by the aisle! rolleyes.gif I have a small bladder. blink.gif

Theatre, I find, requires a different level of concentration from me. Watching a film I feel is more passive, I can sit back and let it wash over me whereas I feel more engaged by a theatrical performance and sometimes enjoy a short break - back to reality as it were. biggrin.gif

Back to the play discussion! ph34r.gif

#7 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, Aurora. I was keen on this play as soon as I read about its imminent arrival at the Soho Theatre. I look forward to seeing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users