394 replies to this topic

#1 Evie

Evie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:51 PM

I was wondering who are the nicest, and not so nice, people that you have met at a stage door.
Evie
x x x

#2 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(Evie @ Nov 6 2007, 03:51 PM) View Post
I was wondering who are the nicest, and not so nice, people that you have met at a stage door.
Evie
x x x

I very rarely try for a stage door meeting but one time I did was Gillian Anderson who was charm itself. And boy, does she make penetrating eye-contact. When she looks at you, you stay looked at.

Stephen Tompkinson (good handshake) after Arsenic & Old Lace, because I'm a big Seinfeld fan and had hoped to meet Michael Richards, who didn't show. People have told me Stephen Tompkinson reminds them of me so I wondered if he thought, "What a handsome chap".

After Betrayal I waited outside the Donmar with my partner who was hoping to meet Toby Stephens, who didn't show, but the other two cast members did and I was interested to observe them. Sam West was very distracted and politely brusque with a number of male and older female admirers, then instantly slipped into suave mode when an attractive young woman sidled up for an autograph. He even said "Well, hello" in a Leslie Phillips-esque voice and asked her name so he could write a dedication. Dervla Kirwan, meanwhile, looked like a rabbit in the headlights after politely standing and looking through the large scrapbook of her cuttings a male fan was showing her. She still looked like that when she kindly posed for photos for another fan.

I waited at the NT stage door to try to get Ruth Wilson's autograph after Philistines, purely because I'm hopelessly in love with her but it's just as well she didn't show as I probably would have been an incoherent gibbering wreck. Ahem - she is, of course, supremely talented (and I urge you to watch both A Real Summer and Capturing Mary this coming weekend). And did I mention, I'm totally besotted with her (my partner understands, albeit with sighs and shakes of the head).

So she didn't show but Conleth Hill did so I got his autograph and had a brief chat. He was polite, but there was a slight air of tolerating it. Which is fair enough.

Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:16 PM

"Dervla Kirwan, meanwhile, looked like a rabbit in the headlights after politely standing and looking through the large scrapbook of her cuttings a male fan was showing her. "

I'm not surprised. Keep a scrapbook if you must, but show it to the object of your obsession? Absolutely terrifying.

#4 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

Samantha Bond was very nice after Donkey's Years, as was David Haig.
The best encounter (of few) was with Omid Djalili after his stand-up show, he discussed his show, and when he signed a flyer he told us how much he loved signing autographs. Top bloke.

#5 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

I've rarely done the stage door thing but made an exception for Alan Rickman, who is wonderfully patient with his fans and always comes out between shows to sign stuff and do photos.

The only other stagedoor thing I have done recently was The Dumb Waiter as I went with avid Isaacs fans. He was pleasant but Lee Evans was totally delightful. I'm not at all a fan of his manic comedy but he was such a nice guy, asking us all about where we'd come from etc that I quite fell for him. He posed for photos and finally wandered off into the night with a little backpack heading for Tescos "to get a baguette"

#6 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:01 PM

I always try to get to the stage door - it really completes the evening when you can get a signed programme.
Highlights include:

Judi Dench after Hay Fever - very friendly and has time for fans
History Boys - the touring cast passed my programme around and all signed their pics.
Lee Evans - very pleasant and down-to-earth I agree - after Producers
Boeing-Boeing - all very friendly (2nd cast)
Connie Fisher - willing to spend time signing for everyone at the stage door

#7 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(MrsDoyle @ Nov 6 2007, 05:56 PM) View Post
The only other stagedoor thing I have done recently was The Dumb Waiter as I went with avid Isaacs fans. He was pleasant but Lee Evans was totally delightful. I'm not at all a fan of his manic comedy but he was such a nice guy, asking us all about where we'd come from etc that I quite fell for him. He posed for photos and finally wandered off into the night with a little backpack heading for Tescos "to get a baguette"

What a great story, I really enjoyed reading that - thanks.

I've sent it to my partner, who was also not a fan of his comedy but warmed to him in Dumb Waiter.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#8 pork chop

pork chop

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:38 AM

im a big fan of lee evans , and i went round to the stage door after dumb waiter . He was so nice it was unbelievable . there were lots of people with bundles of photo's to sign which no doubt would have ended up on ebay so i waited patiently for about half an hour . He then came over for a chat with me and my friend and he just had me in fits of laughter . At the same time one of these happy snappers kept shouting over my shoulder that he wanted a picture , to which mr evans replied ''I will be with you in a minute im just chatting to this couple''. I thought wow what a nice guy . I also asked if he would mind signing my favourite dvd . He signed it '' thank you for last night you were a real stud lots of love lee evans . Amazing guy .

#9 theatre*fairy

theatre*fairy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:55 AM

Nicest people i have met at the stage door:
Jon Robyns- Absolutly delightful, signed everything for everyone

Gavin Creel- Was shocked i wanted his autograph and a photo....lovely

Orlando Bloom- Although crowds were REALLY REALLY bad, he tried to sign as much as he could...I gave him a present earlier in the day and when he signed my flyer after the evning show, he thanked me for it.

Gilz Terera- so funny and a lovely guy

Mark Adams- Amazing

Stephen Triffitt- Brilliant

Eve Best- Possibly the nicest women ive ever met,...she was up in her dressing room, and i jokingly waved my flyer up towards her dressing room, and she looked out and said, Ill be down in a moment, to which within about 5 mins, she was down at the stage door signing my flyer and having a photo. I thanked her so much as shed come down, in a hurry and forgotten her jacket, and as this was 23rd December, she was freezing.

Robert Lindsay- The nicest person, ive ever met anywhere. He signed everything and had photos and chated for at least 10 mins even though he had dinner reservations.

I could go on forever about my different experience at the stage door, the only person, i had problems with was patrick swayze. There was a crowd of probably about 10 people ,after the matinee, and we waited for nearly an hour before secruity said oh hes not coming out, plus we waited probably the same after the evening and they said the same thing again as well as he wouldnt be signing.
Tommy: OK, very important. There are two types of women, type A and type B. You listenin'?
Frankie:  Yeah.
Tommy:OK, type A. They're real easy. Jump right into bed witcha. Then later on, they bust your balls. Type B. First, they play hard to get. Then later on, they bust your balls.
Frankie: I don't get it.
Tommy:Don't worry, you will.

#10 Belle

Belle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Musical theatre, costumes, shiny things

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:35 PM

While I've met a lot of absolutely lovely performers, the most outstandingly friendly person must be Jo Gibb.  Met her when she'd just started as Pearl in starlight express, and she spent about 10 minutes standing chatting to us about the show, how it's going, everything, when we'd never met her before!

Least pleasant I've encountered was Shane Ritchie, we were waiting to speak to Mazz Murray at the WWRY stage door, and he was also there to see her.  Enormous "Don't you know who I am???" attitude, and no, couldn't put a name to the face at the time actually!  compounded by the fact we then popped into Burger King and he, Mazz, and his family had to queue behind us...
###Belle###

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users