Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(Terri Paddock @ WOS @ Feb 28 2007, 01:37 PM) View Post
Hello all,

Just to let you know, we have appointed two moderators to date and started banning IP addresses, including normad and the repeat spammers. The spam attack came out of the blue over the weekend, but I believe it's getting better. Hopefully, you'll notice an improvement. We'll appoint further moderators as necessary.

We do appreciate users' efforts to alert us when they come across inappropriate postings, and we react to these as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Kind regards,

Terri Paddock
Editorial Director
Whatsonstage.com

As far as I can see there's only one new moderator in addition to admin, and as we've just seen from normad's latest posts that's not enough. To work successfully a place like this needs a whole group of moderators as that's what ensures that at least one of them will be online and around to quickly deal with such offensive garbage as normad's posts. But surely this is just the first step, and you plan to appoint further mods soon? You really need to if this place is going to be a place that people feel comfortable returning to. Thanks.

//Jenny
http://groups.yahoo....re_and_Company/
http://blogs.whatson.../rsc-histories/

#32 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:39 AM

The argument against registration (and I know of no other boards that allow guests to post) is that it's too much trouble for people who only want to post once. But all our guests seems to want to post multiple times and even start threads. So that argument fails. And I'd like to know who the mods are too - why the secrecy?

Like Skylight, I have become fairly disenchanted with this board very quickly. No chance of WOS giving some hints about what they would like from it ? (yes, we know you read it and take enough notice of it to alter your editorial material based on posts here).

#33 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

However desirable, it is unrealistic to expect that a small (in the grand scheme of the internet) board can be monitored 24/7. Many of these spam attacks take plave around 01:00 to 04:00 in the morning and are pretty much the only posts at that time. In any case policing any board is down to ALL the users, not just Admin and Moderators.

Do not respond to trolls, simply use the report button at the bottom of every message to alert staff of a problem. Every chatroom or message board I have encountered has, at some time, had problems with malicious postings. The problems at present here seem, to me, to be from a small number of posters intent on causing harm. Don't let them! cool.gif
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#34 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

Blimey - does the world and its dog wish to be moderators? I want to make it clear that I would sooner poke needles in my eyes.  ph34r.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users