• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dancing Diva84

Dancing Diva84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

'The Rippers 5' is a new musical written by Karlton Parris and is being  shown at Camden Theatro Theatre at the moment. Has anyone seen it  yet? Apparently it is based on the 5 five women killed by Jack The  Ripper. Seen a few preview articles and it sounds very intriguing. Nice to have some original musicals being made rather than tv/movie adaptions dry.gif !

#2 Guest_chasingcars_*

Guest_chasingcars_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

Saw it last night. OMG!!!! Disturbing, exciting, painful, exhilarating, stunning. Cannot wait to go back. Think I may become an addict!

#3 Guest_Madcatlady_*

Guest_Madcatlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

Saw the show this afternoon. I'm with you 'chasingcars', will be making plans to see it again! A gripping performance, bringing the lives of the Rippers victims into a new light.

QUOTE(chasingcars @ Sep 23 2010, 11:31 PM) View Post
Saw it last night. OMG!!!! Disturbing, exciting, painful, exhilarating, stunning. Cannot wait to go back. Think I may become an addict!

wink.gif

#4 Sweet Jo

Sweet Jo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

"The  Ripper's 5"
I saw one of the preview performances of this new musical and thought it was absolutely amazing......it completely blew me away!!  Fantastic performances from everyone....with outstanding vocals!  There is something hauntingly mystical  about this show and although the storyline is dark there are moments of humour, despair and passion, all intertwined with lyrics and melodies that touch your heart and cause goose bumps on your skin!!

A must see show!!

#5 Guest_Orfeo_*

Guest_Orfeo_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

OMG!!!! What an amazing show!!! If you liked PHANTOM OF THE OPERA the RIPPER'S 5 is a show for you. Sooo beautiful and strange, gothic and dark. Sometimes the plot was a bit hard to follow, but if you know the basic story of Jack the Ripper and his victims it helps. And what an AMAZING cast. Didn't really expect such high quality performance for a small Camden fringe venue. MUST GO AND SEE!

#6 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hmmm, 3 posts by guests and 2 posts by people who joined this forum just to rave about this production.  This small production has had more excitment that many a fringe production has on this forum.....
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#7 Guest_Guest_The Suburbanite_*_*

Guest_Guest_The Suburbanite_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(dude-1981 @ Sep 27 2010, 11:32 AM) View Post
Hmmm, 3 posts by guests and 2 posts by people who joined this forum just to rave about this production.  This small production has had more excitment that many a fringe production has on this forum.....

Yes, and count the exclamation marks too. I presume they mean Theatro Technis? Might help their gushing over-enthusiastic reviews if they at least got the name of the venue right.

#8 MTAddict

MTAddict

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:18 AM

Had an audition for this but had a last minute problem and couldn't get to Manchester.

Have to admit though that the audition songs still go round and round my head and the lyrics made me very intrigued by the story.

#9 rwf

rwf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

Saw this this afternoon. It was rather interesting. There were as many people in the audience as on stage (yes, I counted them). I quite liked the music, but the story started really slowly and it just dragged on. I have to confess I'm not too familiar with the whole Jack the Ripper story, but I found it very hard to follow and I didn't get the end at all. I've heard there are going to be some small changes though.
On the positive side, the performances were great. Some fantastic voices!

#10 Guest_ruth keeling_*

Guest_ruth keeling_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE(Dancing Diva84 @ Sep 23 2010, 01:52 PM) View Post
'The Rippers 5' is a new musical written by Karlton Parris and is being  shown at Camden Theatro Theatre at the moment. Has anyone seen it  yet? Apparently it is based on the 5 five women killed by Jack The  Ripper. Seen a few preview articles and it sounds very intriguing. Nice to have some original musicals being made rather than tv/movie adaptions dry.gif !

I went to see 'The Ripper's 5' on Sunday, so nice to see an original musical, well performed  and enthusiastically presented. This talented ensemble cast presented a piece that was moving, chilling and dramatic. Some really stunning vocals. My only crit is that I felt the production would have benefited with slightly fewer songs and a bit more script as some of the character relationships get a little confusing, especially if you are unfamiliar with some of the more conspiracy theories of the jack The Ripper case. On the whole an enjoyable slightly sinister experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users