The Ripper's 5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Guest_The Suburbanite_*_*

Guest_Guest_The Suburbanite_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

This must be one of the busiest fringe threads I've seen in this forum. Then again I suppose these murders continue to fascinate people. Do you think 100 years from now there'll be tours and musicals about the Ipswich prostitute murders of 2006?

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hmm... the first few posters must have been watching a different show.
Very confusing and 'trying a bit too hard' to be 'dark and sinister' when in fact, most of it was laughable for the wrong reasons.
I pity the cast, who do their best to perform with sincerity but the plot and script is badly written and just... weird.
I wish I could say the songs were good but rhyming 'why, try, die and sky' isn't exactly inspired or brilliant writing, and that's about as good as it gets.
Could have done with more musical direction, the singing isn't always together and the women sometimes get a bit screechy.

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

Is this still on? The website says it runs till the 16th but ticketweb says tickets are no longer on sale  wacko.gif

#14 rwf

rwf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

I just tried and it works for me.

#15 Guest_squadge_*

Guest_squadge_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

Saw the original of this and thought it had alot of potential with only a slight rework.  Some  songs were overlong and Edgar's motives and obsession with Mary Kelly lacked clarity in the end.   Am coming this week to see the re-work so will add my comments as to how it has changed. Reading reviews, it sounds like it is more confusing rather than less.

#16 Guest_squadge_*

Guest_squadge_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

Oh dear - Karlton Parris has gone completely in the wrong direction here.  A few characters, some songs (song by same characters), and the title is all this has in common with the 2007 NYC version.  The emphasis has been switched from the women's stories to the usual 'who is Jack' question and the book is so muddled it is hard to tell who was who and why they were in the show.  What is going on with the stuff in the background?  Oh dear....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users