25 replies to this topic

#1 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

As there is a thread in the Play forum, thought id start it off in the musical section.

Bit slim pickings this year but my guess would be...

Best Actor in a Musical - Ramin Karimloo
Best Actress in a Musical - Sheridan Smith
Best New Musical - Legally Blonde

I think Legally Blonde will get the majority of awards, it doesnt have a huge amount of competition.  Love Never Dies may fare better in the theatregoer awards, but I cant see it doing too well at the Oliviers based on reviews.

#2 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

If anyone beats David Thaxton to Best Actor in a Musical, then I'm going to be in a state of gibbering shock for at least the next three years.

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#3 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

I can see Sheridan winning best actress definately! Legally Blonde for Best Musical is definately a big possibility. Also for choreography too.
Love Never Dies for set design and possibly lights and other productiony things like that!
Hopefully Hair will win Best Revival! And maybe scoop up a few more awards as well!

I can't really think what new musicals we've had this year! Can anyone do a list?

[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#4 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 3 2010, 04:33 PM) View Post
If anyone beats David Thaxton to Best Actor in a Musical, then I'm going to be in a state of gibbering shock for at least the next three years.

You really think his performance deserves it? wow, fair play.  I thought he was good, but not THAT amazing

#5 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

Oh for Best Actress I just remembered (for the Oliviers anyway) Emma Williams and Elena Roger must be contenders.  Although I really hope Elena doesnt win.

Sheridan will win the audience voted ones.

#6 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(Titan @ Oct 3 2010, 05:05 PM) View Post
You really think his performance deserves it? wow, fair play.  I thought he was good, but not THAT amazing

Definitely. Haven't seen any other leading male performances in musicals this year that are even half as deserving. Maybe you caught him on an off-night? *shrugs*

#7 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 3 2010, 05:18 PM) View Post
Definitely. Haven't seen any other leading male performances in musicals this year that are even half as deserving. Maybe you caught him on an off-night? *shrugs*

I would put him and Ramin Karimloo on the same level.  Thaxton was very good dont get me wrong, but I didnt think he was any better than Karimloo.  I think Ramin is the better actor (and singer actually)

#8 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

True, Karimloo is also giving fantastic performances, but I don't think Love Never Dies ever manages to give him enough to work with, whereas Thaxton is doing amazing work by taking a complex and not exactly lovable piece like Passion and managing to plumb the emotional depths to their fullest. So he swings ahead for me. It'd be nice to see them on a more level playing field. smile.gif

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

Remember Michael Xavier and Emma Williams for Love Story- I saw them in Chichester and they were stunning. Also Hair I suspect will gain quite a few nominations (if not awards), and so will Fela (judging by how it did at the Tonys). Also Into the Woods will get a few nods, as there were some stunning performances there.

#10 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 3 2010, 05:28 PM) View Post
True, Karimloo is also giving fantastic performances, but I don't think Love Never Dies ever manages to give him enough to work with, whereas Thaxton is doing amazing work by taking a complex and not exactly lovable piece like Passion and managing to plumb the emotional depths to their fullest. So he swings ahead for me. It'd be nice to see them on a more level playing field. smile.gif

Yeah I dont disagree there, Ramin does deserve something dramatically better than LND, but in someways because he is doing something so amazing with such little he has been given I think thats amazing too.

I think, either way, these two are probably the two to watch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users