25 replies to this topic

#11 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

If Hair doesn't win at least 3 Oliviers I will CRY! Last year I was so thrilled when Spring Awakening won so much, please don't let my favourite musical of this year go away empty handed.

Best revival and best lighting at least, surely....

#12 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

^Pretty sure it'll win best revival, although Into the Woods may get it. I'd be surprised if Sweet Charity did.

#13 Rain

Rain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

I really want Ramin's work in LND to be recognised.

#14 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3300 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

I really do think the LND score can beat Legally Blondes easily.

#15 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Oct 3 2010, 09:01 PM) View Post
I really do think the LND score can beat Legally Blondes easily.

Agreed. The music in LND is far better than LB. Although I do love LB!
Hasa diga eebowai

#16 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

I think that both scores are much better than people give them credit for, tbh. laugh.gif There's some naff moments but also a lot of lovely moments in Love Never Dies, while Legally Blonde's score is both appropriate and even clever. I couldn't say which I favour for the awards though.

Actually, I don't know why I've got this feeling, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a Love Never Dies backlash. There's a little part of me that expects to see it end up with hardly any acknowledgement at all, whether that be in the form of a stack of nominations and no awards (a la Spamalot), or just a cursory smattering of nominations here and there. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong! smile.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#17 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3300 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 3 2010, 09:19 PM) View Post
I think that both scores are much better than people give them credit for, tbh. laugh.gif There's some naff moments but also a lot of lovely moments in Love Never Dies, while Legally Blonde's score is both appropriate and even clever. I couldn't say which I favour for the awards though.

Actually, I don't know why I've got this feeling, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a Love Never Dies backlash. There's a little part of me that expects to see it end up with hardly any acknowledgement at all, whether that be in the form of a stack of nominations and no awards (a la Spamalot), or just a cursory smattering of nominations here and there. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong! smile.gif

It will be interesting to see how LND does in the WOS awards for example, may give us an indication of what the theatre going public thik of it.

#18 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:38 PM

I think both Ramin and Sheridan will deserve the titles if they win!
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 3 2010, 03:33 PM) View Post
If anyone beats David Thaxton to Best Actor in a Musical, then I'm going to be in a state of gibbering shock for at least the next three years.

I agree with this so very much. I understand that there's a lot more hype about Karimloo's Phantom, partly because it's more "accessible", partly it's more of a standard "leading role" and partly because the roles are just so different, but what Thaxton has done with that role, how far he has to take it at the end - and how far he does take it, and what he has to put into it every time to get to the point he's at for the last scenes is incredible, especially in a venue so small and intimate, with no tunes, no big numbers that will win everyone over anyway. And vocally he's outstanding. I wish people weren't so quick to dismiss it...

#20 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3363 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 4 2010, 12:54 AM) View Post
I agree with this so very much. I understand that there's a lot more hype about Karimloo's Phantom, partly because it's more "accessible", partly it's more of a standard "leading role" and partly because the roles are just so different, but what Thaxton has done with that role, how far he has to take it at the end - and how far he does take it, and what he has to put into it every time to get to the point he's at for the last scenes is incredible, especially in a venue so small and intimate, with no tunes, no big numbers that will win everyone over anyway. And vocally he's outstanding. I wish people weren't so quick to dismiss it...

See I think Thaxtons role is standard 'leading man' to be honest in the same way Phantom is, im not saying he isnt very good in it, but I dont see what is so different about it from anyother troubled romantic leading man.

Rightly or wrongly I would also like to see Ramin Karimloo win as recognition for what he has done in that role in both the original and the sequal.  He has acted the role like i have never seen before, and why I think he is up there (from what I hear, im not a 'Phan' myself) as one of the Phans modern favourite Phantoms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users