23 replies to this topic

#1 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

Of course Alfie Boe is an established Opera singer but played Valjean in the Les Mis 25th Anniversary concert at the O2 on 3rd October and went down a storm.

I was lucky enough to have a ticket to this wonderful concert and I have fond memories of Colm Wilkinson playing the role of Valjean in the 10thAC. Alfie Boe blew me away with his incredible voice and it has been reported that talks are ongoing for him to play the role in the West End next year.

Personally I would like to see this happen, did anyone see him as Valjean in the few days he performed the role in the WE prior to the concert? If so what did you think?

Is his operatic tone well suited to Les Mis but not so much to other musicals?

As a whole he quite obviously stole the hearts of the O2 audience, the YT videos don't convey how good he was imo as I could see much more of the emotion in his face than is captured on the footage and he has a real presence on the stage.

I wonder if he will venture only into Les Mis or whether his career will remain mainly with Opera. Interesting to see what happens. Personally I think we will lose out if we don't this man on a WE stage again.

Bring Him Home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX7PYCWzH9I

The Confrontation (from 2.40 onwards):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGb-PxBuN4g

#2 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

No comment? I'm surprised. Oh well perhaps when he plays Valjean next year, maybe people will have more to say. No guarantee he will but I would be very surprised if he doesn't given Cam Mack' s enthusiasm about him and the amazing reception he got at the Les Lis O2 concert.

#3 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

The dramatic opera tenor Alfie Boe has signed a deal to play the lead role of Jean Valjean in the West End production of Les Miserables which, in turn, could lead to a more lasting connection to the landmark musical.

Cameron Mackintosh revealed yesterday that the singer will begin performances at the Queen’s Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue in early June for a six-month run.

And the impresario hinted that Boe has the kind of sound that would work well in a big-screen version of Les Miserables

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz16NqLNeF7

#4 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

Good to see the Daily Fail coming up with its usual collection of supposition and rumour masquerading as fact...

View Postchinatoy, on 26 November 2010 - 10:36 AM, said:

#5 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

View Postcurzon, on 01 December 2010 - 02:23 PM, said:

Good to see the Daily Fail coming up with its usual collection of supposition and rumour masquerading as fact...
Um he has been cast as Valjean, it's not a rumour, it's a fact.

#6 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

I saw Alfie Boe in The Mikado today and he was really impressive. Great comic timing, really good acting and the voice is a given. There are those who understandably wondered about his acting ability as he hasn't up to now been an MT performer. It's not just me, he's had some great reviews as well.

If I had any reservations, I don't any more, this guy is very talented and a great addition to the MT world imo. Really looking forward to seeing him in Les Miz.

#7 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

Matt Lucas & Kerry Ellis to perform with Alfie Boe at Royal Festival Hall Bring Him Home Concert

#8 deluded munchkin

deluded munchkin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

Alfie Boe has been added to the line up for the Perfect Pitch concert gala too....

http://www.whatsonst...Joins Boys.html

#9 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thought I'd bump this for the track listing for Alfie's new album "Alfie"

1. Being Alive
2. Maria
3. When I Fall In Love
4. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
5. When You Wish Upon a Star
6. Music of the Night
7. Someone to Watch Over Me
8. Song to the Siren (with Robert Plant)
9. In My Daughter’s Eyes
10. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (with Michael Ball)
11. Wheels of a Dream
12. It Was a Very Good Year
13. Who Am I
14. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Source: http://blog.musicaltheatrenews.com/

#10 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

Has anybody acutally go to his BHH concert? If so, was it really as bad as The Times says? : "Boe's next career move must be to decide whether he wants to be a downmarket Andrea Bocelli or an upmarket Les Dawson. And then work on it." (2 stars).

Although I don't appreciate him too much as a MT actor, I like his voice enough as an opera singer, so I initially wanted to go to this concert at RFH, but it was the wrong date for me. And anyway I was informed, in this Forum, that there'd be no operatic arias, so didn't/couldn't go.

BTW, who is Les Dawson?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users