Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:58 AM

View PostLynette, on 19 February 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

didn't happen when I saw it.

THAT was the night the prop didn't work then.

#252 Guest_Manda_*

Guest_Manda_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

I finally saw this last week.  Very dull staging and Rebecca Hall was an extraordinarily stilted Viola; possibly her delivery was intentionally 'mannered' but it didn't work for me.  A pity, as I'd liked her in the Old Vic 'Cherry Orchard'. From times past I recall a very wooden Jennifer Hall as Miranda in 'The Tempest' so maybe the Hall family director/actor combination simply doesn't work very well.

The performance I liked best was Amanda Drew's Olivia; she, Simon Callow and David Ryall deserved a better production.  Simon Paisley Day made no impression at all as Malvolio; Derek Jacobi, Simon Russell Beale and Patrick Stewart have all been very impressive (and very funny) in this part in other recent productions so it's not the role that's the problem. I actually preferred James Fleet's Aguecheek (in the generally awful last RSC production) to Charles Edwards' performance; as Jan says, the broken scabbard is part of the staging. Very subdued audience response to the whole thing.

#253 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

Just got back.  Rebecca Hall was the weakest Viola I've ever seen - including school productions  The most attractive aspects of playing Viola, it seems to me, are:
1.  The fun of a girl pretending to be a boy (or in Shakespeare's time, I suppose, a boy pretending to be a girl pretending to be a boy.)
2.  The romance - the forbidden love chemistry between Orsino and Viola.
3.  The poetry - like the willow cabin speech.

Since she made no attempt to look or sound like a boy, there was absolutely no chemistry between her and Orsino (or her and anyone else on stage, she spent most of the time staring at the audience, the others must be tired of her profile) and she spoke in a strange, slow halting way as if searching for her words at all times, I wonder why she wanted to play the role.  She giggled a lot and stood around with splayed hands - just unbelievably poor.

The play would come to life at time in the Aguecheek/Belch scenes, then die listlessly again.  And what was with Fabian's hat - did he insult the designer or something.  Long and dull.  Shame.

#254 Guest_Achilles_*

Guest_Achilles_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

Desmond Barritt was a great malvolio a few years back at Stratford. I find it sad that people think it is a not a good play - I think it is an extraordinarily rich play, mainly the hymn to tolerance/bisexuality at it's core. Not for nothing is it's subtitle 'What you Will'. It's the Shakespeare I have seen the most and I still do not tire of it....even if some sub plots could be cut. It is quite a naughty ribald play.

#255 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

View PostAchilles, on 22 February 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

Desmond Barritt was a great malvolio a few years back at Stratford. I find it sad that people think it is a not a good play - I think it is an extraordinarily rich play, mainly the hymn to tolerance/bisexuality at it's core. Not for nothing is it's subtitle 'What you Will'. It's the Shakespeare I have seen the most and I still do not tire of it....even if some sub plots could be cut. It is quite a naughty ribald play.

Barritt is not to my taste. Of the RSC ones (though I have seen it done better several times elsewhere) I remember this one:

ZoŽ Wanamaker (Viola), Sarah Berger/Joanne Pearce (Olivia), Miles Anderson (Orsino), Emrys James (Malvolio), Stephen Moore (Sir Toby Belch), Richard O'Callaghan (Feste), Daniel Massey (Aguecheek), Gemma Jones (Maria), Nigel Cooke (Sebastian), Stanley Page (Fabian), Graham Sinclair (Antonio), Derek Smee (Curio), Griffith Jones (Valentine)

Zoe Wannamaker excellent.

#256 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

Saw this last night and was dissapointed. It just wasn't funny enough, especially compared to the Wyndham's production that had me in stitches.
Didn't think much of Rebecca Hall as Viola - shrill and annoying - and it must be the least convincing casting for mistaken identity - Sebastian looked a foot taller
and much much broader!

#257 immortal longings

immortal longings

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, music, movies

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:21 AM

Saw this last week and was disappointed, especially with Rebecca Hall's awful Viola. The constant hand splaying and gawping was really off-putting.
I did like the set though and there were a couple of good performances, but not enough to make me love it which is a shame as I like Twelfth Night.

#258 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Dead shows rise from their graves as Hallowe'en looms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users