996 replies to this topic

#21 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

Millie, you may be able to help here. Is the opening of the trailer (the person with lots of TVs in front of them) filmed for this trailer, or actually part of the show? Also, I've heard form several people that they weren't keen on the mafia bit near the end (they loved the rest of it though)- what did you think? And what are the illusions like- are they as bad as The Invisible Man!!? (done by the same person).   :)

#22 Millie Dillmount

Millie Dillmount

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

they are done by the same person (who incidently did the illusions for the original production of invisable man) - there arent as many as i thought there might be, but they worked well. like in the book and the movie - its the water jug with the reptile, and the chalk on the board - i was on the front row and they both worked well. i think i worked out how they did them both, but i wont spoil it

there is a scene with miss trunchbull in her study where there is a bank of tv screens as a part of the set - the set largely moves from left to right, although there are a few trucked platforms which come from back to front through the panels at the back which again open across the stage. this set with the tvs is part or what moves from left to right

what they could have done (and they might if it transfers) is to have the head teachers study and the wormwoods living room on trucked platforms - would look a lot tidier than having stage managers pushing bits of furniture on and off

been trying to think where it might go -

the noel coward is getting million dollar quartet, the novello is getting betty blue eyes, the picadilly is getting ghost, the palace has priscilla

looking for theatres are matilda, lend me a tenor and several other shows - the shaftesbury? (cant see flashdance lasting that long) the aldwych? its about time dirty dancing danced off, the playhouse (how long can dreamboats and petticoats last with selling top price for 5)

#23 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3300 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

View PostMillie Dillmount, on 21 November 2010 - 04:31 PM, said:

they are done by the same person (who incidently did the illusions for the original production of invisable man) - there arent as many as i thought there might be, but they worked well. like in the book and the movie - its the water jug with the reptile, and the chalk on the board - i was on the front row and they both worked well. i think i worked out how they did them both, but i wont spoil it

there is a scene with miss trunchbull in her study where there is a bank of tv screens as a part of the set - the set largely moves from left to right, although there are a few trucked platforms which come from back to front through the panels at the back which again open across the stage. this set with the tvs is part or what moves from left to right

what they could have done (and they might if it transfers) is to have the head teachers study and the wormwoods living room on trucked platforms - would look a lot tidier than having stage managers pushing bits of furniture on and off

been trying to think where it might go -

the noel coward is getting million dollar quartet, the novello is getting betty blue eyes, the picadilly is getting ghost, the palace has priscilla

looking for theatres are matilda, lend me a tenor and several other shows - the shaftesbury? (cant see flashdance lasting that long) the aldwych? its about time dirty dancing danced off, the playhouse (how long can dreamboats and petticoats last with selling top price for 5)

Rumour has it Rebecca is now eyeing the Shaftsbury!

#24 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

The Gielgud is free from the end of January...

and rumour has it that Lend Me A Tenor is going into the Vaudeville.

#25 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

Vaudeville seems very small for the very big LMAT set.
Gielgud is a possibility for Matilda though.

Also, where can you get those Dreamboats tickets for £5??

#26 Osiris

Osiris

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

Saw it on Saturday and loved it. The addition of the escapologist/acrobat story was surprisingly lovely, I especially liked the shadow puppetry.  Obviously I expected a little theatrics for the magic, but I was particularily impressed with Amanda Thripp's flight!

View PostJenny Storry, on 10 November 2010 - 12:08 AM, said:

The girl who played Matilda (Kerry Ingham) was excellent especially as she was one of 3 Matildas and we were told by Matthew Warchus at the start that she had taken that performance over during the day as the other lost her voice...and it not hard to see why. She was only 9 and could sing ,dance, act and express meaningful emotion without any embarrasing coyness...impressive. She got a standing ovation deservedly .

Minor point, but Kerry is 11 :)

#27 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

Do they not work on the basis of having a u/s Matilda within each team? I know that's how Oliver work - having covers for all roles within each team.

#28 zaphod

zaphod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:09 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 22 November 2010 - 04:52 PM, said:

Do they not work on the basis of having a u/s Matilda within each team? I know that's how Oliver work - having covers for all roles within each team.
Nah - there are 3 teams of 10 children, one Matilda in each, but on every show there have to be a few understudies around from another team (Matilda, Bruce et al.)

View Postzahidf, on 20 November 2010 - 10:50 AM, said:

Any chance of a london transfer?
It's looking like the show will hang about and reopen at the RST next Christmas, for which it'll obviously need restaging as it's less of a thrust stage. Then 2012 will be the year to take it out of Stratford.

View PostWickedlyJai, on 20 November 2010 - 10:36 AM, said:

Also there was a scene at the end involving the mafia that was just completely unnecessary.
I don't believe it's an unnecessary epilogue, as there needs to be some kind of catalyst to get Matilda from her current family to Miss Honey's care, and I like it. It is being pared down though (for tonight's show in fact!)

#29 Osiris

Osiris

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

View Postzaphod, on 23 November 2010 - 12:09 AM, said:

I don't believe it's an unnecessary epilogue, as there needs to be some kind of catalyst to get Matilda from her current family to Miss Honey's care, and I like it. It is being pared down though (for tonight's show in fact!)

I think I prefer it to the original book idea (them running from the police). And we get comedy Russian accents, which is always funny.

#30 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:34 AM

Would this show be suitable for a 6 year old to watch please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users