996 replies to this topic

#421 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

Interesting that they're looking for Trunchbull on Broadway, I would have assumed Bertie Carvel would be a shoo-in for reprising the role when it moves to Broadway.   Wonder what theatre they'll pick on Broadway, I've read rumours that Mamma Mia! on Broadway is to move to a smaller theatre to make way for Matilda but it probably depends on how the current shows on Broadway do this season,

#422 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

They also will be looking for suitable understudies, even though I suspect Bertie will make the trip to open the Broadway company.

#423 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

I could be wrong, but I think there's some Equity rule on Broadway (and possibly here too?) that they have to go through the formality of putting out a casting call and allowing people to apply regardless of whether they've already essentially decided who they're going to cast.

Out of interest has Bertie C still not missed any performances? Have heard reports of most of the other understudies being on, but not his.

#424 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

His understudy was on Tuesday and Wednesday this week - whether that was planned (I presume so, most other leads have had holidays) or illness I'm not sure of.

#425 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Bertie has been ordered by the RSC to take a holiday!  He's in France for the week!
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#426 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3360 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

The equity laws are getting easier to bypass but I'm not sure whether him going would be a such a foregone conclusion. The show is the star, and as great as he maybe it isn't him that's driving ticket sales. I guess if he wins the Olivier it might make for a stronger case

#427 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

From a publicity perspective there's more logic in Lauren going, seeing as most of her career has been stateside (plus there is the handy fact she's the director's wife). Though as Bertie has been getting all the big praise over here I would say there's a good chance they'll offer it him.

#428 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

MusicalTalk, on 30 March 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Bertie has been ordered by the RSC to take a holiday!  He's in France for the week!

Shame we didn't find that out before - would have liked to see Alistair giving his Trunch.

#429 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

MusicalTalk, on 30 March 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

This week or next? I'm seeing it again next week, with a relative who seems to have a kind of reverse Midas touch in terms of ensuring the non-appearance of lead actors. :D

#430 fabala87

fabala87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

My friend and I are coming over to London for a couple of days and are hoping to day queue for Matilda. Awful timing I know with it being Mid Term but it'll be the only chance we'll get to see it while we're over. What time would people recommend we get there at? It'll probably be Good Friday that we'll try and get tickets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users