• Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

I REALLY HOPE IT DOES !!! :D
havent been aple to get to see it yet:/

#52 Guest_theaterfan14_*

Guest_theaterfan14_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

I saw this on Tuesday 14th and was compleatly blown away by it. Kerry was the most excellent Matilda and really was confident in everything she did, including speaking perfect russian! Bertie Carvel as Miss Trunchball was another highlight and his song "The Smell of Rebllion" was a joy to watch. This like many shows has a few duds but when the songs work which is 99% of the time, they work really well. I would LOVE a cast recording preferably with Kerry as Matilda. The sets were good and i really enjoyed "When I Grow Up" at the start of act two with the swings going into the audience. I felt that the running acrobat and escapologist story begin to trail off and lose some effect in the middle untill you got what it was about. The set was good but i would have liked to have see more of Trunchballs office and to actually see a Chokey. Overall the show is incredibal with great songs and a good strong story, and makes for an enjoyable and memorable evening.

PLEASE: Cast recording- With Kerry
        Transfer to London sooner than 2012

#53 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

Cast Recording has now been confirmed for 2011 (official website).

Saw Matilda tonight, by far the most outstanding thing I have witnessed in a theatre for a very long time.

Total commitment and energy from every last member of cast. The book and music combine wonderfully. The set is just simply stunning to look at, there are so many little things they've achieved with it that just adds to the production.

There were some truely magical moments, Matilda's opening song (Adrianna tonight, by the way) was a highlight - how anyone of that young age can command a stage as well as that I do not know - it was that thought more than anything which gave me the chills.

When I Grow Up looked beautiful from the side, straight-forward yet effective staging - the song just encapsulates perfectly what it felt like to be that age, total innocence and care-free. The other stage moment I have to mention (without giving any game away) is the chalk-board - brilliantly done.

On the negative side though, the escapologist idea (seems to be the general gripe with this production!) I think could have been constructed with less confusion, also the ending section (from after Revolting Children) I would sharpen up a touch. I kept up with the show, having never read the book, but only just - there were a couple of times I was thinking "ah, am I meant to know something here from the book?".

However, a stunning piece of work from start to finish, it has to get into the West End. No question.

This is the RSC at their best.

#54 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

^ I really can't wait to see this after reading that!

Were you sitting in the side stalls Daniel? Was the view ok?

#55 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

I sat on the right hand side stalls L 12-13 and thought the seats are excellent and you see everything except one thing which is done towards the rear of the stage where the pillar obstructs the view for a few seconds, but you don't miss anything crucial.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#56 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

I was in Circle A9 -  could see everything, just that a lot of things were played forwards so people at the side got a lot less effect. Am sitting in A13 in a few weeks time, think even that difference will help a great deal. But yeah, it's really such a minor point when compared to the overall production (plus, if/when it gets its West End transfer, that will help the re-staging if anything).

#57 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

Well I made it from London up to Stratford-Upon-Avon (and back too!) yesterday to see the matinee of Matilda. It was absolutely fantastic and I think has become my new favourite musical! All the actors were superb, the sets / staging is brilliant, it has a great script that is true to the book and Tim Minchin's lyrics and music are wonderful. My Matilda yesterday was Josie Griffiths who was excellent. I thought Bertie Carvel brought Miss Trunchball to life perfectly too and some of the set pieces are stunning.

Well done to the RSC and all involved. Seeing it in the wonderful Courtyard Theatre was perfect and I would encourage everyone to go if they can!

Special well done to everyone yesterday for putting on the show despite the weather. I was sorry that so many people couldn't make it but the actors still gave it 100%. I cannot wait to see it again.

#58 Guest_Hope662_*

Guest_Hope662_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Just a quick question. Are they still releasing the 10 16-25 year old tickets on the day or have they pulled it due to success on the general bookings?

Really trying to see it, someone mentioned an extension on at its run at Stratford anymore word on that? If it can't transfer until 2012 and there are a lot of people unable to get tickets, they'd be mad to not extend. Now the show is up and running as such (I suspect they will tweak for London), it wouldn't matter if the production team was tied up with Ghost and I would imagine that Matilda won't transfer until Ghost is settled in town but stranger things have happened! (Like Dirty Dancing and Dreamboats managing to stay open)

#59 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3313 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

Really hope this transfers! Not had a chance to see it and from reviews sounds like its something special!

#60 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

I thought that the 16-25 tickets were to be purchased in advance, i didn't know that they did any tickets on the day. Saw it again last night and it again was excellently exceuted by all cast and bits that i missed before because of where i was sitting i managed to see which mean't it was like seeing a compleatly different show, even better and i managed to work out how a few things are done because i knew when they were coming.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users