996 replies to this topic

#591 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

I also thought Lend Me a Tenor was far far superior to Betty Blue Eyes (which I really didn't like at all!)

#592 jersey_girl

jersey_girl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

I know people have probs already posted videos, but thought I would share my video from the weekend at westend live

#593 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostMark_21, on 28 June 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

You really aren't!! I'm glad I found someone who agreed!! I ended up seeing Lend Me A Tenor 3 times before it sadly closed! It was one of my musical highlight of 2011! I'm hoping Matilda is my highlight of 2012!

I feel really spoilt for choice when it comes to declaring "musical highlights" - I first saw Matilda in 2010 and it was easily better than anything I saw for the first time in that year (and 2011 and 2012, I might add!), the "next best new musical" for me was Into The Woods for that year. Lend Me A Tenor tops the new 2011 list (London Road a close second). In 2012, the Phantom tour is the best new production I've seen of a musical so far.

#594 seanmcdona

seanmcdona

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Finally got around to seeing Matilda during the week.
Eleanor was on and she was absolutely fantastic! Crazy how talented she and the other kids in the show are at such a young age and so completely full of energy for such a big show.
Was thrilled Bertie Carvel was on for Miss Trunchbull and he was the highlight of the show. Absolutely hilarious and everytime he came on stage the whole theatre was in fits of laughter!
Steve Furst was okay as Mr. Wormwood. I dont think he was anything special and i think other actors could have easily gotten more laughs out of the part.
Hayley Flaherty was on and i thought she was great. I met her earlier in the day outside the theatre and she was so nice to me and all my friends and answered all our questions and took pictures.
The production as a whole is just stunning... Set design is amazing and the lighting (one specific point-dont want to spoil it for anyone- was just unbeleivable) The dancing was brilliant as well but i expected that with the same choreographer as Billy Elliot. The music: theres no real stand-out number but as a whole its all just so simple and thats why it just perfects the show in my opinion.
The special effects/magic was also brilliant and so cleverly done!
Matilda has become my top musical tied with Billy Elliott! Cant wait to go see the show again!
Full house last Tuesday night and standing ovation throughout!

#595 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm curious what your specific lighting point was... :)

#596 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

I think we can probably all guess what that moment is.  When they added it, it was a breath of fresh air - as it was something the show really lacked in Stratford.  Bertie hates it, though! Shh!
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#597 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

Does he? I wasn't sure if *that* was the moment being referred to - personally I have better LX highlights in the show!

#598 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

I've only seen it in Stratford. Do tell (in spoilers of course!).

#599 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

yes - Bertie hates...
Spoiler

MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#600 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I did wonder what the hell that was all about when I saw it, it makes no sense and adds nothing. In fact that scene was kinda boring and a bit wtf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users