996 replies to this topic

#681 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

It will be interesting to see if Charlie has an impact on this show in anyway.  After all that will be bringing a lot of spectacle and bang for your buck, something that Matilda doesnt really do.  It might appeal more to families choosing a show.

#682 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostTitan, on 14 September 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

It will be interesting to see if Charlie has an impact on this show in anyway.  After all that will be bringing a lot of spectacle and bang for your buck, something that Matilda doesnt really do.  It might appeal more to families choosing a show.

Yes, I'm keen to see the impact, although as a Dahl fan, it would be amazing to have two shows based on his books doing good business in the West End. While I agree that there might not be the greatest amount 'spectacle' in Matilda, I found it didn't need it. The songs and the staging are so good that it doesn't really need a great deal of spectacle. I was in wonder at School Song the first time I saw it, and When I Grow Up could melt even the hardest of hearts. Exceptional.

#683 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well it would be nice if those of us over 25 could get day seats. Haven't been to Matilda since January but would go more often if they allowed over 25s to day seat. At the moment it's a once a year treat!

#684 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

View Postrichard2711, on 14 September 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Yes, I'm keen to see the impact, although as a Dahl fan, it would be amazing to have two shows based on his books doing good business in the West End. While I agree that there might not be the greatest amount 'spectacle' in Matilda, I found it didn't need it. The songs and the staging are so good that it doesn't really need a great deal of spectacle. I was in wonder at School Song the first time I saw it, and When I Grow Up could melt even the hardest of hearts. Exceptional.

I too am a Dahl fan, and it would be wishful thinking if there were two of the best Dahl adaptations in the West End at the same time. Matilda, as well as a few other familiar musicals, has proved that with some good songwriting the heart of the material can be shown.

But as the films have proved it is easy to divert away from the core of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and produce an adaptation that is all spectacle and less substance. Casting Douglas Hodge though is a good sign that the musical is not all going to be about Willy Wonka.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#685 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Lara Wollington sang 'Naughty' last night on Friday night is music night on Radio 2. http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01mql9f

About 15 minutes in :)

#686 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Bertie Carvel is to play Trunchbull on Broadway.  http://www.playbill.com/news/article/172015-Olivier-Winner-Bertie-Carvel-Will-Make-Broadway-Debut-in-Matilda-The-Musical
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#687 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Bertie doing the transfer I think a lot of us could have predicted a mile off, however great news all the same :)

#688 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I dont really see why though, as good as he is I didnt think he brought anything exceptional to the role

#689 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Have only just noticed (and am very happy to see again) Mark Goldthorp is back in the West End playing the Doctor...am I right in thinking that the doctor/escapologist  track is also a cover for Miss Trunchbull?

#690 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Yes, he's first cover Mr Wormwood, second cover Miss Trunchbull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users