996 replies to this topic

#781 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Are there any plans of touring yet? Or would it not be easy to tour?

#782 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Given it is the RSC, I think a tour will be a long, long way off. Love to be proved wrong, but wouldn't expect it for several years.

#783 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

I imagine if Matilda is a success on Broadway then they'll likely have a US National tour which will likely become the basis of any UK tour in the future.

#784 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Has it had its first night on Broadway yet? Is it a success there?

#785 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Shows are easier to tour in the US than the UK because the span is so much more vast and more theatres are available.  Remember it took 8 years for the hugely successful Wicked to tour the UK, and has done US tours since 2005 - just two years after it opened on Broadway.  

Matildas has not had its first night on Broadway yet but, let's face it, the competition isn't fierce with such clapped out shows as ANNIE and CINDERELLA being the competition, Matilda will do find on Broadway.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#786 lkcool

lkcool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

" All our new children are making their first performances over the next few weeks, which is exciting both for them and all of us! It is a gradual process as I'm sure you can understand so once they are all up and running, full details will be announced."

#787 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Oh that explains it!! I'm going to see it again in a few weeks - cant wait!!

#788 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Id hardly call cinderella clapped out when its pulling a million plus a week and has never been seen on broadway before. Annie will soon have jane lynch to boost numbers. Matilda has started well but its not been as sold out as i thought it might with all the hype

#789 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

I wasn't expecting it to be sold out initially - it's a very British show with no 'names' in it, and one of the major draws for a British crowd (Tim Minchin) isn't nearly so well known in the US.

#790 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

True although the american press a while back suggested that the wealthy american family market couldnt wait for it to arrive. When it wins the tony (which im pretty sure it will as it doesnt have much competition) it will sell sell sell.

Is tim minchin really that big of a draw here? He isnt that prominate on the posters and the only people that seem to know him are ones who follow comedians. I mentioned him at work as id never heard of him until.matilda and only a couple of people who really into comedians had heard of him, most had heard of matilda though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users