#791 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostTitan, on 23 March 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Is tim minchin really that big of a draw here? He isnt that prominate on the posters and the only people that seem to know him are ones who follow comedians. I mentioned him at work as id never heard of him until.matilda and only a couple of people who really into comedians had heard of him, most had heard of matilda though

Well, he was on Jonathan Ross's chat show twice ( and was cut from it at Christmas for being too controversial) and The Royal Variety Show last year, as well as hosting Never Mind the Buzzcocks and the comedy prom the other year,  so he's pretty mainstream. He's not as high profile as, say, Sarah Millican at the moment, because he's not really a panel-show
Comedian and his stuff is not terribly TV-friendly.

I certainly know people who went to see Matilda only because of Minchin, who don't normally do musicals at all. And when people have asked me 'how on earth do you turn Matilda into musical?' I've said 'you hire Tim Minchin to do the music and lyrics' and seen immediate eyes-light-up enthusiasm. So, yeah, among my age group (20s and early 30s) I'd say that Minchin's involvement is a draw.

#792 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I love Minchin. It's not the only reason I went - I love musicals too, lol - but it definitely made it a must-see.

#793 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostTitan, on 23 March 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

True although the american press a while back suggested that the wealthy american family market couldnt wait for it to arrive. When it wins the tony (which im pretty sure it will as it doesnt have much competition) it will sell sell sell.

Is tim minchin really that big of a draw here? He isnt that prominate on the posters and the only people that seem to know him are ones who follow comedians. I mentioned him at work as id never heard of him until.matilda and only a couple of people who really into comedians had heard of him, most had heard of matilda though

The show wasn't a sell out here until the reviews came out.  It may all change if the US press give it good reviews.  The number of Tonys it wins will also be a big factor for the show's future sales.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#794 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 23 March 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Well, he was on Jonathan Ross's chat show twice ( and was cut from it at Christmas for being too controversial) and The Royal Variety Show last year, as well as hosting Never Mind the Buzzcocks and the comedy prom the other year,  so he's pretty mainstream. He's not as high profile as, say, Sarah Millican at the moment, because he's not really a panel-show
Comedian and his stuff is not terribly TV-friendly.

I certainly know people who went to see Matilda only because of Minchin, who don't normally do musicals at all. And when people have asked me 'how on earth do you turn Matilda into musical?' I've said 'you hire Tim Minchin to do the music and lyrics' and seen immediate eyes-light-up enthusiasm. So, yeah, among my age group (20s and early 30s) I'd say that Minchin's involvement is a draw.

Fair enough although funnily enough im same age group and so were people i was discussing with so guess it depends on what you like/watch

#795 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Website has been updated with names and photos.

#796 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Do Matilda post up adults holiday dates?

Just wanted to know if David Leonard is on tomorrow or not.

#797 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Saw the show last night and it was just as fantastic as I had remembered from September. My parents really wanted to see it and I thought I might have bigged it up a little too much :P

Cast were great, don't the name of the girl who played Matilda but she was exceptional. David Leonard - hilarious, brilliant performance. Miss Trunchbull is scary!

#798 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Question...

How do they do the Bruce cake eating scene?? Surely he doesnt eat the whole cake but i cant work out how they manage the trick, having seen the show 3 times :/

#799 aniali

aniali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Its an inflateable cake i tbink which chocolate frosting

#800 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Having sat front row, I'm fairly sure it is an inflatable. For further away you wouldn't have been to tell, but it was only about 6 foot from me. It did look like a deflated ballon at points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users