996 replies to this topic

#831 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Another really random question - how do they do some bits of the school song on Broadway? For example the letter 'R' comes in the word 'asked' but said in an american accent it doesnt sound at all like an R??

#832 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

I was talking to someone over the weekend who saw the show over there and mentioned some of the lyrics have been changed to reflect the accents. I didn't realise at the time what he meant, but it must've been referring to School Song!

#833 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Possibly, but they do put on British accents!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#834 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

They're doing British accents, aren't they?

#835 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Are they? Canadian Turtle yep I guess thats what your friend meant, I wonder how theyve changed them...

#836 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

They are doing faint British accents from what I've been told as apparantly they figured the American audiences wouldn't be able to understand the actors were they to use the original stronger British accents.

#837 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Yes they are, or the Matilda's definitely are anyway, and I think everyone else is!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#838 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

apparantly they figured the American audiences wouldn't be able to understand the actors were they to use the original stronger British accents.

If that's correct, that's insane. Not only do American audiences understand the accent just fine, they're nuts about it. They find it charming and delightful. It's likelier to be a compromise as the children found it easier to learn such huge roles without having to also concentrate on nailing an RP accent.

#839 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

I know, I thought it was a ridiculous reason too so let's hope I was informed wrongly and it indeed has to do with the children having to learn enough as it is. (this reminds me, I saw Billy Elliot in Australia and their "British" accents made me shudder...)

#840 lkcool

lkcool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

I have a feeling that Lucy Mae Beacock maybe leaving soon as she is not featured in much of the new images or material. Plus there are currently five Matilda's playing. Does anyone know when her last show will be or when she is leaving?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users