#841 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

View Postcanadian_turtle, on 22 April 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

I know, I thought it was a ridiculous reason too so let's hope I was informed wrongly and it indeed has to do with the children having to learn enough as it is. (this reminds me, I saw Billy Elliot in Australia and their "British" accents made me shudder...)
Surely a normal American accent would be better than a half-hearted attempt at a British one though...?

#842 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

The Matilda's on broadway have been deemed inelegible for the leading actress tony but will get a special recognition award!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#843 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostMS1995, on 26 April 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

The Matilda's on broadway have been deemed inelegible for the leading actress tony but will get a special recognition award!

Well that's just stupid - they gave the Lead Actor Tony to the Billys in Billy Elliot, so what exactly is different to make the Matildas ineligible?!

Makes the Tony nominations committee look like they don't know their own rules in my opinion...

At least the Matildas are getting something though.

#844 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

i actually agree with their decision, i also wish london did the same at the oliviers.

i wonder if part of the reason is because they only perform 2 shows a week each, where as there were only 3 billys.

For me, matilda doesnt carry the emotional weight that billy does. Matilda feels much more like a kids role (ala oliver) compared to billy which is more young adult

I do agree though its odd they didnt do same with billys

#845 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Well I personally don't think that 2 shows a week is enough to be nominated, either that or alternates should start being considered for the tony award. And surely if 4 people can play the role to the same standard at the same time, then their performance can't be that outstanding and the role is being awarded?

And I think after some got annoyed with the Billy's winning they decided it wasn't a good idea to repeat it, and there were only 3 Billy's, so they were doing more than 2 shows a week, which means it isn't comparable to an alternate?
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#846 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

It's also a shame the RSC petitioned the Tony committee to have Bertie Carvel considered as Lead Actor. Billy Porter is pretty much a lock for that award. They should have left Carvel as Featured.

#847 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

3 performances a week (at most) is barely more than 2, so the Billys being eligible and the Matildas not is nonsense.

The four girls are playing the lead female role in the show, so the fact that there's four and not one of them shouldn't make a difference when it's employment and equity laws that are preventing them from doing all the shows.  It's not their fault nor anyone else's that the lead character is a child, so they should get equal consideration.  Each of the performances can be special enough.  Just because they don't do it 6-8 times a week shouldn't matter, as overall there are 8 pretty much equally good performances of that role each week, and all perform regularly.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't see the issue with nominating them, and I don't think at all that it's a situation in any way analogous to having an alternate.  That's a choice not to do 8 shows a week, whereas the Matildas are forced not to by law.

#848 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well I don't think I would call it nonsense, there has to be a cap somewhere if you want it to not be the same as the amount that an alternate performs, so surely 3 is a valid number of performances a week!?

And the Matilda's aren't forced to do less than 6 a week in America (look at lilla Crawford in Annie) so it is down to the producers choice!

PLANNED

#849 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

So Matilda on broadway got 12 tony nominations!! Pretty damn impressive!! But kinky boots got 13!!

#850 coddy92

coddy92

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

Thinking about going for 16-25 tickets some time next week. Where are these seats usually positioned? Are they all in one place or spready around? Just wondering...as £5 is a pretty good deal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users