996 replies to this topic

#961 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

I am going on Thursday too! Very excited :)
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#962 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

Been kind of procrastinating in Thursday's performance feedback. Now I can finally understand he hype about his show it was amazing! Every area stood out whether it was the lighting, set, choreography or just overall energy that everyone has.

I would never have guessed it was only the first week for the new performers as it just ran slick and smoothly (apart from a moment in "Smell of Rebellion" where the Trunchbull takes off her hoodie and throws it off stage, it got caught on one of the blocks of the side portal. Alex however saved the moment and hilariously waked over in character to throw it off again which got an extra laugh!). Alex Gaumond made a terrific Trunchbull, certainly looked and acted the part with clever timing and scary facial expressions. While he didn't sound as woman-ly as Bertie non David from what I heard on YouTube, his accent was very stiff-upper-lip, upper/middle class and snobbish and would never have known he was really Canadian!
James Clyde and Kay Murphy were fantastic, really got across the stupidness of the characters (almost like the characters on TOWIE just with strong cockney accents).
Elsie was on as Matilda and I've got to say, she did steal the show and rightly so! It wasn't like the star was any of the older actors like in Oliver! or Annie. The rest of the cast, whether they were children or adults, made up a brilliant company that made the whole thing a delight to watch.

#963 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

track list of the BW recording is now listed on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.co...8910894&sr=1-1

22 tracks, including the overture and the acrobat's story in four parts (perhaps each told by a different Matilda?).
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#964 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

How's the £5 16-25 queue doing these days? I know they've increased the number of tickets from 16 to 32 which finishes tomorrow and I'm seeing the matinee of Othello at the National so I wouldn't go particularly early but I was thinking of wandering over to the Cambridge before Othello (late morning) to see if there was any of the £5 tickets left for the evening since there would be double the amount and lots would be back at school/college and just wondered whether anyone knows whether it's just not worth it if you don't get there at the crack of dawn? Thanks! :)
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#965 Mmmusic

Mmmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hi I did this today. Got to the theatre at about 8ish and was 8th in the queue. By then time the box office opened there were between 30-40 people but that was for both the matinee and and evening. Good luck :)

#966 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

The Broadway cast album is now available to buy from iTunes, both a standard version and a deluxe version which has 2 extra tracks; "Perhaps A Child" (a cut song by Sergei, which sounds like they were right to cut it out!) and "Naughty" by all four of the Matildas. After listening to the previews I can only say I'm glad I bought the Original Stratford Cast album! I'm not quite sure how to explain it but this one just sounds a bit more "Broadway-fied" like you've got extra people singing or extra musicians playing when it didn't really need them compared to the Stratford cast. And what is up with the preview of the overture?! If the rest of it sounds as miserable as the preview then I hope they don't put it into the London production!

#967 Fizzi

Fizzi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostJanki, on 05 July 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Has anyone seen Charles Brunton as "Trunchbull"! How is he? Went to college with him, and he is the nicest person EVER, so really want him to do well :-D

He was fantastic in the role

#968 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

I finally saw this yesterday. It's a lovely show and the kids are fantastic! Tim Minchin's lyrics are so clever!
I wasn't as impressed with the Cambridge theatre itself though, or the misbehaving children that populated the audience.
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#969 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostJaszyR91, on 24 October 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

I finally saw this yesterday. It's a lovely show and the kids are fantastic! Tim Minchin's lyrics are so clever!
I wasn't as impressed with the Cambridge theatre itself though, or the misbehaving children that populated the audience.

I agree, i didn't like the Cambridge theatre eitheir.

#970 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostJaszyR91, on 24 October 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

The Cambridge is one of my least favourite theatres in London. It's cramped and in need of a refurb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users