469 replies to this topic

#1 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3300 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:35 PM

I have heard storys, that Rydian Roberts from the recent xfactor prgrmae is to star as tha phantom in the new production, scheduled to start late 2008/early 2009

#2 mrsbee

mrsbee

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE(mjr @ Dec 26 2007, 02:35 PM) View Post
I have heard storys, that Rydian Roberts from the recent xfactor prgrmae is to star as tha phantom in the new production, scheduled to start late 2008/early 2009

he said that himself after the show in some interviews. basically - 'come and cast me Lord Lloyd Webber'... well, he will have to audition like the rest, like for example Michael Crawford!

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:25 AM

If he couldn't win against Leon, why let him star in a show?

I can see the advertising now.... "Runner up in X Factor"

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:51 AM

what a bizarre comment to make?!

the x factor and phantom of the opera are two completely different types of shows that require totally different singing styles.  it's like having a dancing competition and one person does ballet and doesn't prove as popular with the viewers and then saying they shouldn't be in a ballet because they couldn't win a salsa dancing show!

#5 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 28 2007, 12:25 AM) View Post
If he couldn't win against Leon, why let him star in a show?

I can see the advertising now.... "Runner up in X Factor"

The X Factor is a popularity contest as much as a talent contest.
Rhydian is a classically trained singer who actually auditioned for Any Dream Will Do.

#6 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 28 2007, 01:51 AM) View Post
the x factor and phantom of the opera are two completely different types of shows that require totally different singing styles.

I take it you didn't hear Rhydian sing at all then..

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:38 PM

yes, i did, but he had a different type of singing voice to leon - not really a "poppy" voice which is why ultimately the "chart following voters" went for leon

#8 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

Ah, i thought you were saying that, that is why Rhydian wouldn't be good in a musical.

#9 Guest_Riddler_*

Guest_Riddler_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 28 2007, 01:51 AM) View Post
what a bizarre comment to make?!

the x factor and phantom of the opera are two completely different types of shows that require totally different singing styles.  it's like having a dancing competition and one person does ballet and doesn't prove as popular with the viewers and then saying they shouldn't be in a ballet because they couldn't win a salsa dancing show!

Did you hear him sing "The Phantom of the Opera" on X-Factor, which he said especially re-written for him by ALW?  Absolutely awful.

#10 Guest_songanddanceman_*

Guest_songanddanceman_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(Riddler @ Dec 29 2007, 01:54 AM) View Post
Did you hear him sing "The Phantom of the Opera" on X-Factor, which he said especially re-written for him by ALW?  Absolutely awful.

he did hit all the notes in the right order but there was ZERO natural emotion in his performance of the song so it came over as both overly forced and hammy. That is fine for a show like X factor but does not suggest he would be able to deliver the meaning/true power of a song in a theatre, let alone sustain that during the evening....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users