Usher/front Of House Job Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_smelly_student_*

Guest_smelly_student_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:05 AM

Hi everyone,

does anyone know what west end theatres are currently recruiting for front of house/ushering?

should i just send my CV and covering letter to as many theatres as possible?

Would i send it to c/o Front of House Manager, and then the rest of the address?

I would prefer to be an usher, but iv heard usher jobs are combined with other front of house jobs. If i would apply would i specify i would like to work as an usher of just FoH?

What to ushers. FOH staff do during the performance?

How much do they tend to be paid?

Lastly, do FoH staff tend to work on set shifts, or is it casual basis? I ask this because i would be able to work full time Jan, Feb, March, part time April and May and full time June. Would they still want me? Should i put this in my letter when i apply?

Thanks everyone!

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:53 PM

Yup just send your CV to the theatre House Manager or even give it in at the Stage Door and they'll pass it on.
Not many theatres will be looking for FoH staff at the moment as its always the quietest time of the year in theatres just after christmas and there casual staff will be going back from Panto as most FoH staff are actors in between jobs. But you could be lucky!
You normally start as an theatre attendant, you guide people to seats during the incoming and then help the ushers with ices during the interval and then sit in throughout the show, and then you could become a Usher, work in one of the theatres merchandise kiosks, or sweet kiosks. (Again depending on the theatre)
During the performance the FoH staff take it in turns to sit in the auditorium while the others break in normally the theatres bar areas and just socialize, play games or read! lol
Depending on how long your show is, for example Joseph has the worst pay FoH wise as its a pretty short show but you could earn at least 250 / 300 a week doing 8 shows. So it's not that good pay but great for actors and students.
Most theaters will want you to work the whole 8 shows per week I know the Apollo Victoria & Victoria Palace only really employ people who can work all the shows. But other theatres are can be very flexible about working hours, you could put it in the cover letter about the times you can work or you could just let them know in the interview.
Good luck and if you have any other questions I'll try and help. =]
Working FoH is awesome you'll meet some great people and I've learnt loads about auditions, acting etc just from meeting other fellow actors who are in the same boat as you.

#3 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

Some of this was also discussed several months ago in this thread.

You probably already know this, but if you are able then call the stage door to find out the name (and the spelling of the name) of the person you should write to, and make sure you write a personalised cover letter that makes it clear why you'd be an asset to that particular organisation. Most people who advertise jobs receive large numbers of responses, and the first steps they take to cut the number down to a manageable level is to throw out any that lack cover letters or that have cover letters that are obviously bulk-copied. Those applications go straight into the bin without anyone reading them.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#4 Guest_Ohmeed_*

Guest_Ohmeed_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 7 2008, 05:53 PM) View Post
Yup just send your CV to the theatre House Manager or even give it in at the Stage Door and they'll pass it on.
Not many theatres will be looking for FoH staff at the moment as its always the quietest time of the year in theatres just after christmas and there casual staff will be going back from Panto as most FoH staff are actors in between jobs. But you could be lucky!
You normally start as an theatre attendant, you guide people to seats during the incoming and then help the ushers with ices during the interval and then sit in throughout the show, and then you could become a Usher, work in one of the theatres merchandise kiosks, or sweet kiosks. (Again depending on the theatre)
During the performance the FoH staff take it in turns to sit in the auditorium while the others break in normally the theatres bar areas and just socialize, play games or read! lol
Depending on how long your show is, for example Joseph has the worst pay FoH wise as its a pretty short show but you could earn at least 250 / 300 a week doing 8 shows. So it's not that good pay but great for actors and students.
Most theaters will want you to work the whole 8 shows per week I know the Apollo Victoria & Victoria Palace only really employ people who can work all the shows. But other theatres are can be very flexible about working hours, you could put it in the cover letter about the times you can work or you could just let them know in the interview.
Good luck and if you have any other questions I'll try and help. =]
Working FoH is awesome you'll meet some great people and I've learnt loads about auditions, acting etc just from meeting other fellow actors who are in the same boat as you.

The Apollo Victoria Theatre offer both a 6 show and 3 show contract, you don't have to work all 8 shows.

#5 Colourarc

Colourarc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 7 2008, 05:53 PM) View Post

FoH staff are paid for a 3 & three quarter hour show call - the rates range from  22 to  25 per call - at the lower end of the scale that means less than  200 per week before tax!
If commission is paid, then on a busy show (like Joseph) your weekly wage will be higher.

You also get 'pick-up' money, for tidying the auditorium between shows.

Good luck with your job hunting.

p.s. I do love guest posters who *seem* to know everything!  biggrin.gif
nice. nice. nice. nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice. very nice!

#6 Guest_Guest_student_*_*

Guest_Guest_student_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

anyone know of any theatre currently recruiting?!

#7 Guest_Guest_Laura_*_*

Guest_Guest_Laura_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

How do you go about applying for a front of house type job?
Is it the best way to pop along with your cv or call first?

#8 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Laura_* @ Feb 11 2009, 07:09 AM) View Post
How do you go about applying for a front of house type job?
Is it the best way to pop along with your cv or call first?

Send your CV with a personalised cover letter. Always include a cover letter: applications without one go straight into the bin unread. If you can, find out the name of the person you're applying to (making sure you get the right spelling) and address the letter to them personally. That'll put you ahead of 90% of applicants right at the start.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#9 Guest_smelly moose_*

Guest_smelly moose_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

I saw in the stage that a west end theatre is currently recruiting.

Interviews on monday, first preview on Saturday - bit of a short notice to say yes/no and training and contracts etc?

How many hours per show can i expect to work? how many shows a week?

#10 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

I suspect you are looking at the Novello Theatre ad which is for Spring Awakening - which has up to 8 shows a week and you'll be expected to work for the entirety of each performance, with a minimum of a 3.75hr calltime.

That's the usual time period for ushering - it's not a hard decision to choose who they do and don't want!

They MAY do a training day on Friday but with FoH you usually just get thrown in at the deep end and get on with it - it's NOT a difficult job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users