- - - - -

Usher/front Of House Job Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

If i was going to send in my CV who would i address the envelop to?
just to the head of FOH ?

#22 Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*

Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

hi, i'm thinking about applying for some ushering jobs. i'm currently a student at ravensbourne college just outside london well it takes me about half an hour on the train to get to charing cross but where i live there is not really that many places to work and i am really interested in theatre so thought this might be a nice way to earn some money. does anyone know roughly what time i would finish work as i would have to get the train back?
many thanks
louise

#23 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(Guest_louise0501_* @ Dec 26 2009, 12:18 AM) View Post
does anyone know roughly what time i would finish work as i would have to get the train back?

Most staff leave around fifteen minutes after the end of the show. Bar staff leave earlier: they finish once they've completed the paperwork and tidied up after the interval (assuming that the bar isn't open after the show). A short show can mean finishing before ten o'clock; a long one can mean leaving at eleven o'clock or later.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#24 jade-louise

jade-louise

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(Guest_louise0501_* @ Dec 26 2009, 12:18 AM) View Post
hi, i'm thinking about applying for some ushering jobs. i'm currently a student at ravensbourne college just outside london well it takes me about half an hour on the train to get to charing cross but where i live there is not really that many places to work and i am really interested in theatre so thought this might be a nice way to earn some money. does anyone know roughly what time i would finish work as i would have to get the train back?
many thanks
louise

I go to Ravensbourne College too and I work at a London theatre. I live near Rave and the trains are pretty good to and from there at night. Just depends where abouts you live but ushers leave later than bar staff. I do both so it varies but the post above is what you need to know biggrin.gif

#25 Guest_theatre diva_*

Guest_theatre diva_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

you can send your CV specutaively but chances are they wont get seen or read.  This time of year is very quite for theatre so its not a good time.

Generally the big, continous west end shows tend to employ casual staff and other smaller ones will recriut for perm staff.  If you have a handful of theatre you are esp interested in then check their website regularly.  Have you tried the stage magazine which has all the up to date FOH jobs in theatre - i think you can go online too!  Do you live in London?  If so, if you are in South esp Southwark borough there is a recruitment company (govt funded) that recruits for usher roles and generally foh in theatres, museums and galleries called START.  Look for startjobs.co.uk or i think they are based in bankside nr tate.  They are the best and thats how i got my job as they also give you help with the interviews and tell you the type of questions.  Iwould not have got the job without their help and the competition is crazy for these jobs so you have to know more!  Also lots of customer service experience is essential as they can afford to be fussy and they are!

Hope that helps and good luck!

#26 Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*

• Guests

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hey, oh cool you go to ravensbourne to. is not to bad getting bck late then coz i was a bit worried about that? How often do you work? and in what theatre?

The dominion are recruiting so i'm just waiting to hear back and i really hope i get an inteview. I worked in a cinema for 2 and a half years and a cafe for about a year before that so i have quite a bit of customer servic experience.

just wondered what the pay is like?

Love Louise

#27 Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hey, i have an interview at the dominion on thursday and i'm really nervous. any advice? what should i expect from the interview?

please reply
love louise

QUOTE(Guest_louise0501_* @ Jan 14 2010, 04:07 PM) View Post
Hey, oh cool you go to ravensbourne to. is not to bad getting bck late then coz i was a bit worried about that? How often do you work? and in what theatre?

The dominion are recruiting so i'm just waiting to hear back and i really hope i get an inteview. I worked in a cinema for 2 and a half years and a cafe for about a year before that so i have quite a bit of customer servic experience.

just wondered what the pay is like?

Love Louise

#28 Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

also...are the theatres quite flexible as i dont really want to work weekends as i like to go back home to see my family and boyfriend?
please reply
love louise

#29 Guest_Guest_Lynn_*_*

Guest_Guest_Lynn_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hiya, is the Dominion still recruiting?  are there any other west end theatres currently recruiting for front of house or ushers?  Is there a site that the jobs are advertised on?  Im currently looking for a London theatre front of house or usher job and have previous ushering and customer related experience.
Thanks for your help.
Lynn
PS I had friends who lived in Sidcup and worked as ushers and they were able to get the train home each night, though obviously it might depend from show to show.

#30 Guest_Guest_louise0501_*_*

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

hey, yea i think the dominion are still recruiting. i would try and drop in a CV before thursday though. no other theatres have contacted me yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users